Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract a sub string from a main string Post 302243167 by madhu.it on Saturday 4th of October 2008 02:22:55 AM
Old 10-04-2008
extract substring from mainstring

i need a shell program to extract a substring from a main string..
for eg:- main string is madhu..
sub string is mad
o/p:- mad.
try to solve this one

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string from main string

i need a shell program,to extract a string from a main string. main string is "madhu" sub string is "mad"..means any word from the main string please di this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhu.it
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string from another string in UNIX

I have a string string="Please have a nice day and sleep well Replace_12123_31233_32134_12342 Good day" How do i replace "Replace_12123_31233_32134_1234" in the above string.?? Please help. Regards, Qwerty (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact string from main string

Hi , am getting output file, it sontains the below values. ./hawk_DOM1_FIRST_ENV ./hawk_DOM2_SECOND_ENV ./hawk_DOM3_THIRD_ENV Now I need to grep the word "DOM1_FIRST_ENV","DOM2_SECOND_ENV" like that. I tired with cut -d "_". Its not working with any deleimiter. Can you please help to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies
GETPROGNAME(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					    GETPROGNAME(3)

NAME
getprogname, setprogname -- get/set the name of the current program LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> const char * getprogname(void); void setprogname(const char *name); DESCRIPTION
These utility functions get and set the current program's name as used by various error-reporting functions. getprogname() returns the name of the current program. This function is typically useful when generating error messages or other diagnostic output. If the program name has not been set, getprogname() will return NULL. setprogname() sets the name of the current program to be the last pathname component of the name argument. It should be invoked at the start of the program, using the argv[0] passed into the program's main() function. A pointer into the string pointed to by the name argument is kept as the program name. Therefore, the string pointed to by name should not be modified during the rest of the program's operation. A program's name can only be set once, and in NetBSD that is actually done by program start-up code that is run before main() is called. Therefore, in NetBSD, calling setprogname() explicitly has no effect. However, portable programs that wish to use getprogname() should call setprogname() from main(). On operating systems where getprogname() and setprogname() are implemented via a portability library, this call is needed to make the name available. SEE ALSO
err(3), setproctitle(3) HISTORY
The getprogname and setprogname function calls appeared in NetBSD 1.6. RESTRICTIONS
The string returned by getprogname() is supplied by the invoking process and should not be trusted by setuid or setgid programs. BSD
May 21, 2011 BSD