Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: processing records in a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers processing records in a file Post 302243096 by joeyg on Friday 3rd of October 2008 04:32:45 PM
Old 10-03-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Perhaps another way to approach this

Does the following simplified example give you an idea of how to proceed?

Code:
> cat file3
joe 12 * beetle
brian 99 . cow
joe 15 ? house
> awk '$1=="joe" {print}' file3
joe 12 * beetle
joe 15 ? house
> awk '$1=="joe" {print}' file3 | sed "s/joe //"
12 * beetle
15 ? house
>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Processing

I am an Awk newbie and cannot wrap my brain around my problem: Given multi-line records of varying lengths separated by a blank line I need to skip the first two lines of every record and extract every-other line in each record unless the first line of the record has the word "(CONT)" in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use records from one file to delete records in another file

file_in_1: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 file_in_2: 9 10 11 12 21 22 23 24 1 2 3 4 17 18 19 20 file_out: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenneth.mcbride
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Based on num of records in file1 need to check records in file2 to set some condns

Hi All, I have two files say file1 and file2. I want to check the number of records in file1 and if its atleast 2 (i.e., 2 or greater than 2 ) then I have to check records in file2 .If records in file2 is atleast 1 (i.e. if its not empty ) i have to set some conditions . Could you pls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
3 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

Processing records as group - awk

I have a file has following records policy glb id 1233 name Permit ping from "One" to "Second" "Address1" "Any" "ICMP-ANY" permit policy id 999251 service "snmp-udp" exit policy glb id 1234 name Permit telnet from "One" to "Second" "Address2" "Any" "TCP-ANY" permit policy id 1234... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

8. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through records in db and processing them in UNIX

Hi, I want to read multiple records from oracle database table and then based on each record I need to do some file modifications in UNIX. I'm not sure how do I process each record from DB in UNIX.Below is the code snippet. sqlplus user/pwd@DEV for i IN (select * from table) loop -- for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prats_7678
2 Replies
DROPUSER(1)						  PostgreSQL Client Applications					       DROPUSER(1)

NAME
dropuser - remove a PostgreSQL user account SYNOPSIS
dropuser [ options... ] [ username ] DESCRIPTION
dropuser removes an existing PostgreSQL user and the databases which that user owned. Only users with usesuper set in the pg_shadow table can destroy PostgreSQL users. dropuser is a shell script wrapper around the SQL command DROP USER [drop_user(7)] via the PostgreSQL interactive terminal psql(1). Thus, there is nothing special about removing users via this or other methods. This means that the psql must be found by the script and that a database server is running at the targeted host. Also, any default settings and environment variables available to psql and the libpq front-end library do apply. OPTIONS
dropuser accepts the following command-line arguments: username Specifies the name of the PostgreSQL user to be removed. This name must exist in the PostgreSQL installation. You will be prompted for a name if none is specified on the command line. -e --echo Echo the queries that dropuser generates and sends to the server. -i --interactive Prompt for confirmation before actually removing the user. -q --quiet Do not display a response. createuser also accepts the following command-line arguments for connection parameters: -h host --host host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. -p port --port port Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file extension on which the server is listening for connections. -U username --username username User name to connect as (not the user name to drop) -W --password Force password prompt (to connect to the server, not for the password of the user to be dropped). ENVIRONMENT
PGHOST PGPORT PGUSER Default connection parameters DIAGNOSTICS
DROP USER All is well. dropuser: deletion of user "username" failed Something went wrong. The user was not removed. If there is an error condition, the backend error message will be displayed. See DROP USER [drop_user(7)] and psql(1) for possibilities. EXAMPLES
To remove user joe from the default database server: $ dropuser joe DROP USER To remove user joe using the postmaster on host eden, port 5000, with verification and a peek at the underlying query: $ dropuser -p 5000 -h eden -i -e joe User "joe" and any owned databases will be permanently deleted. Are you sure? (y/n) y DROP USER "joe" DROP USER SEE ALSO
createuser(1), DROP USER [drop_user(7)] Application 2002-11-22 DROPUSER(1)