Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers forcefully throwing error : unix script Post 302242031 by era on Wednesday 1st of October 2008 03:42:46 AM
Old 10-01-2008
Code:
if command; then
  : nothing
else
  rc=$?
  echo command failed: exit code $rc >&2
  exit $rc  # terminate script here and now
fi

# or
command || exit $?

# or
set -e
command

The inverted code in the if/then/else is required if you want to capture the exit code from the command. Otherwise you can simply write

Code:
if ! command; then
  echo command failed, exiting >&2
  exit 255
fi

The redirection to >&2 is customary; you want error messages on standard error, not standard output.

The shorthand with || is unobvious but quite logical (sic) once you get it.

The command set -e forces the script to exit immediately if any command fails.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop throwing an error

Hi Guys, I am trying a simple for loop which is throwing an error. Below is my code: #/bin/sh set -A array "are" "you" "there"; for ( i = 0 ; i < ${#array} ; i++ ) do echo ${array} done I am getting this error tci001wasd02 $ sh -vx array_for.sh #/bin/sh set -A array "are"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail script throwing an error "No recipient addresses found in header"

Hi, I am using following code to send an e-mail with attachment and body. echo "To: user1@mail.com,user2@mail.com" > mail.tmp echo "Cc: user3@mail.com,user4@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "From: group@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "Subject: my report" >> mail.tmp echo "please see as attached"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error

How to use Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error #!/bin/ksh let x=3 If ; then mailx -s “ $x is greater than 2” example@gmail.com << EOF This is the message body EOF fi its throwing error as syntax error at EOF... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with internal unix command in statement throwing error

Hi I've gotten a plugin script that won't run. I keeps throwing an error at the following line. for BARCODE_LINE in `cat ${TSP_FILEPATH_BARCODE_TXT} | grep "^barcode"` do #something done The error reads ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

POCO install throwing error

All , I am trying to install POCO lib on Solaris server. When I do make -s,I am getting the following error. make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 10: Unexpected end of line seen Few of the content: # # Makefile # # The global Makefile for POCO # #sinclude config.make ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasperl
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tr--translate is throwing an error

Dear all, I would like to count the no;of word "INFORMATION" in a file called alt.lst and output to a unix variable INFORMATION.so to do this I wrote the below code INFORMATION=echo 'INFORMATION' | tr -cs 'A-Za-z' '\n' < /app/tisq005/01/home/tisq005b/scripts/alt.lst | grep -c "INFORMATION"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiransagar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk--throwing an error

Hi all, I have below code sqlplus -s ext/exo@TIS << EOF whenever sqlerror exit failure rollback; set echo off set head off set serveroutput on set termout on set trimspool on SPOOL $SPOOL_FILE select 'ROWS '|| ' '||decode((count(Part_no)),0,'With greater values not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kiransagar
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function throwing an error

Hi All I have two shell scripts where the second is getting invoked from the first. E.g. test1.sh and test2.sh Within test1, the code is something like this: #!/bin/bash . test2.sh usage() { echo "..." echo "....." } SRC=$1 DEST=$2 case "$3" in tran) doTran ;; *)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop throwing error

Hello Gurus, I am writing one script at linux. The logic is There is a find command which will find some specific files daily and store at a variable Then echo that variable . Now when I am trying to read the variable by using for loop it is throwing error as below:cat: CKDT.dat: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Prustat throwing error only in zones not in global

Hi, Prustat is throwing error only in zones. But it is working fine in global. dtrace: invalid probe specifier /* ** The following is a trimmed version of two seperate DTrace scripts: ** ** socketsnoop.d - snoop TCP network socket traffic by process. ** This is intended to identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
3 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)