Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to find file time using ksh Post 302241934 by Lakris on Tuesday 30th of September 2008 03:40:53 PM
Old 09-30-2008
I am sorry, but that doesn't make very much sense to me. I guess You must read up on some very basic command line operations.
If You echo a string (such as contained in a variable) You will get the string, not a line from a directory listing
And do You actually have quotes in the filename?
And time is the 8th value, right?
You know, You would make it easier for people to help if You posted (copy/paste) some actual code and runtime output from Your attempts.

Best regards,
Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

KSH to find a ORA error in a log file

Hi: i have writen a script that needs a finishing Pourpouse is to find a particular error in a file after we enter file name and the return msg would describe if >there is a error -> "Contact DBA" if there is no oracle error ->"No ora error found." for the same i have written a script... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: techbravo
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find/replace to new file: ksh -> perl

I have korn shell script that genretaets 100 file based on template replacing the number. The template file is as below: $ cat template file number: NUMBER The shell script is as below: $ cat gen.sh #!/bin/ksh i=1; while ((i <= 100)); do sed "s/NUMBER/$i/" template > file_${i} ((... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McLan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the file names from date/time: Need help

Hi All, I really need help in figuring out how to determine the filenames from the time that is specified as parameter. The script should take as input - the start time and end time in minutes and also start date and end date. Example: reporter.sh -instance Instance_Name -startTime 13:10... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -e to find out File modification time in secs

Hi All, I would like to know the file modification time till seconds in Unix. So I tried ls -e and it worked fine. This Solaris 5.10 -rw-rw-r-- 1 test admin 22 Sep 12 11:01:37 2008 test_message But I am not able to run the same command in SOlaris 5.6 and also in AIX/HP Is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkav
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - AIX: get epoch time/age for a file?

Hi, (AIX 5.1) Is there any way to find the epoch timestamp for a file without having to use fancy perl (or similar) scripts? If anyone knows of a way to do this using just ksh commands it would be appreciated. (It also appears I don't have the stat command available). Alternatively is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: b0bbins
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find file creation time

Hello folks, I have a file, but it change every seconds, i use stats command to check its creation time, but it shows access,modify and change time same. Is there any other way to see the file creation date/time? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find more then 1000 file at a time

Dear All, The need to found more than 1000 file are available in particular directory or not .That more than 1000 file stored in file.txt . i tried with locate & find command .But i can't get.pls post if any other option (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpoobathi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do i find a file with the current time stamp in it??

I want to find a file using find or any utility having the current date time stamp..... I have an alternate way to do that.... but that is too way out of logic... so looking out something with find itself (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to find specific infomation in a delimited file

I am using ksh and looking for a simple way to print the entire row when a specific column contains specific infomation. I know I can use grep to find the information however I can not specify the column. File test.txt contents: Abc,223,223,223 efg,354,224,774 hij,354,2230,773... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldman2
5 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)