Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory shift hard disk from primary IDE channel to secondary IDE channal Post 302241541 by otheus on Monday 29th of September 2008 03:20:45 PM
Old 09-29-2008
I cannot give a Debian-specific answer. The main problem is that modern Linux distributions do something like the following in /etc/fstab:
Code:
LABEL=BOOT            /boot  ext2  auto,defaults defaults 0 0 
LABEL=ROOT            /        ext2  auto,defaults defaults 0 0

The "Label" stuff is what's giving you the problem. What happens is that every partition gets a filesystem-specific "tag" such as "BOOT" or "ROOT". The mount process finds the "first" partition that matches this tag.

To fix this, hard-code the device IDs. So in the /etc directory on the / mountpoint on your SECOND drive, do something like this:
Code:
/dev/hdb1          /boot       <other stuff>
/dev/hdb2          /             <other stuff>

But you're not done yet. If your boot-loader is "grub", you also have to go into the SECONDARY Boot partition and change the grub configuration there to make sure if tries to load the kernel and "initrd" image off /dev/hdb* instead of "BOOT" or "ROOT", etc.

You're still not done. In the grub configuration on the PRIMARY drive, in the Boot partition, you have to install a "chain loader" into the Grub configuration. Google for "Grub" and "chain loader".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error.

Hi there! I received the following error message The hard disk at channel 2, target 1 had a soft error. The output of a system check reveiled the following (see entry <2,1> ): SWXCR xcr0 error counters: RAID Array 200 Controller Family Information Utility V1.03... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The difference between SCSI & IDE Hard disks.

Hello agian ! What is the difference between SCSI and IDE hard disks ? I have Intel PC and when i check i have Generic IDE TYPE DISK0 is IDE hard disk is ok for Solrais ? or should i buy the SCSI hard disk ? Thanks Abid Malik (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
3 Replies

3. AIX

IDE DISK ERR2 and LVM SA STALEPP errors in errpt

Hi, I'm getting the errors below in the errpt report for a IBM Blade server. I'm guessing there's a problem with one of the disks but don't know how I can confirm this. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Regards Gareth (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

primary-secondary sync problem

hi guys, i am new to this DNS business and i'm having a problem. the setup is bind 9.2.3 is installed on a sun solaris 8 server and is the primary DNS. men and mice suite is installed on another sun solaris 8 and that is our secondary DNS server. problem is recently the secondary DNS stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbannout
0 Replies

5. Solaris

problem after adding new ide disk

Hi experts, i have added a new disk to my ultra 10 system, after that i am unable to boot the system, its not booting from disk neither from cd. please help! Regards (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
16 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Wrong BIOS IDE Settings on a SATA disk (AHCI)?

Hello, I wanted to share an experience I had today which was quite a learning experience and perhaps useful for others who may run into the issue at some point in the future. Basically, the scenario involves a OS which was installed on a machine which hardware-wise, had a SATA Drive. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: septima.pars
0 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Maximize IDE Hard Disk

Hi there! I am installing Unixware 7.1 to a new server. We usually use SCSI hard for this but since this will be used only for testing, I decided to use an 80GB IDE hard disk. I was able to successfully load the unix but found out that the 80GB hard disk was not maximized. The total hard disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limpinmd
1 Replies

8. Linux

Secondary linux dist WITHIN primary one

Hi New here so forgive my ignorance and inability to express myself in an informative manner ;) I have a Fedora distribution installed on my development computer. The system we build is meant to run on a slackware dist which is all fine and well. But due to our flow of deployment I would have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquam
2 Replies

9. SCO

declare disk driver for IDE hard disk

hi I've a fresh installation of SCO 5.0.7 on the IDE hard disk. For SCSI hard disk I can declare, for example blc disk driver using: # mkdev hd 0 SCSI-0 0 blc 0but it works for IDE hard disk? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
3 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies
dad(7D) 							      Devices								   dad(7D)

NAME
dad - driver for IDE disk devices SYNOPSIS
dad@ target,lun:partition DESCRIPTION
This driver handles the ide disk drives on SPARC platforms. The type of disk drive is determined using the ATA IDE identify device command and by reading the volume label stored on the drive. The dad device driver supports the Solaris SPARC VTOC and the EFI/GPT disk volume labels. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are trans- mitted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk. Raw file names are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the raw device must be aligned on a 512-byte (DEV_BSIZE) boundary and must have a length that is a multiple of 512 bytes. Requests that do not meet the restrictions cause the driver to return an EINVAL error. I/O requests to the block device have no alignment or length restrictions. Device Statistics Support Each device maintains I/O statistics both for the device and for each partition allocated on that device. For each device/partition, the driver accumulates reads, writes, bytes read, and bytes written. The driver also takes hi-resolution time stamps at queue entry and exit points, which facilitates monitoring the residence time and cumulative residence-length product for each queue. Each device also has error statistics associated with it. These must include counters for hard errors, soft errors and transport errors. Other data may be implemented as required. FILES
/dev/dsk/cntndnsn block files /dev/rdsk/cntndnsn raw files where: cn controller n tn IDE target id n (0-3) dn Always 0. sn partition n (0-7) The target ide numbers are assigned as: 0 Master disk on Primary channel. 1 Slave disk on Primary channel. 2 Master disk on Secondary channel 3 Slave disk on Secondary channel. IOCTLS
Refer to dkio(7I). ERRORS
EACCES Permission denied. EBUSY The partition was opened exclusively by another thread. EFAULT Argument was a bad address. EINVAL Invalid argument. EIO I/O error occurred. ENOTTY The device does not support the requested ioctl function. ENXIO The device did not exist during opening. EROFS The device is a read-only device. SEE ALSO
format(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), driver.conf(4), vfstab(4), dkio(7I) X3T10 ATA-4 specifications. DIAGNOSTICS
Command:<number>, Error:<number>, Status:<number> Indicates that the command failed with an error and provides status register contents. Where <number> is a hexadecimal value. offline The driver has decided that the target disk is no longer there. disk ok The target disk is now responding again. disk not responding to selection The target disk is not responding. i/o to invalid geometry The geometry of the drive could not be established. incomplete read/write - retrying/giving up There was a residue after the command completed normally. no bp for disk label A bp with consistent memory could not be allocated. no memory for disk label Free memory pool exhausted. ATA transport failed: reason 'nnnn': {retrying|giving} The host adapter has failed to transport a command to the target for the reason stated. The driver will either retry the command or, ultimately, give up. no mem for property Free memory pool exhausted. transport rejected (<n>) Host adapter driver was unable to accept a command. Device Fault Device fault - reason for such error is vendor specific. SunOS 5.11 24 Oct 2005 dad(7D)