Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rewriting standard output lines Post 302241149 by Lakris on Sunday 28th of September 2008 01:55:24 PM
Old 09-28-2008
Hi, You could try something like this... You may need to find a way to enable escape sequences in Your shell if it's not enabled by default. The trick here is to send BCKSPC with echo.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo Started program...
echo -n "Progress: 00" 
for x in $(seq -w 1 10); do # or some other loop condition
	sleep 1 #Or some other useful code here...
	echo -n "\b\b${x}"
done
echo

And You will have be wary of any other output produced by Your program, for example, if Your actions corresponding to sleep above actually writes stuff to stdout, You may want to redirect it temporarily to a file, which You can display after the loop is done.

/lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard Output

When I run a third parties program from the command line (this program basically list's a whole load of stuff) and write the output to a file it splits the output, i.e. in the middle of the file appears the exit command. If I don't redirect the output and write it to tty then the output is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output and redirection

Hello, Is is possible to redirect stdout to a file as well as to the console/screen or display in ksh. any thoughts suggestions/input is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables from standard output

What am I doing wrong? I was searching for the answer to assigning variables from output. I found this simple response ls -l apply_want.m | read perms links owner group size mtime1 mtime2 mtime3 file this should allow me to echo the variables echo "$perms | $links | $owner | $group |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whamchaxed
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output redirection from a variable

Hi, trying to store a comand involving a redirection in a variable and then run this variable. But the redirection gets lost. Ex: #!ksh MYCMD="ls -l > dirlist.txt" $MYCMD This runs the command but displays the result in the terminal instead of redirecting it to the text file. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Output to Standard Input

Hi All, How do I provide the output of a command to another command which is waiting for an input from the user ? Ex : I need to login to a device via telnet. In the script, initially I use the "read" command to get the IP Address, Username and Password of the device from the user. Now,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sushant172
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute standard output ?

Alright so i got this script genpipe: echo "$*" |sh genscript file vi file << 'HERE' :%s/^/echo /g :%s/ $//g :%s/ /&\| xargs \.\/plus /g :wq HERE cat file Which generates output like echo 1 | xargs ./plus 2 | xargs ./plus 3 and so on Now i got the next script multiplus, who should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture Multiple Lines Into Variable As Of Standard Output

Hello All, I have the below script and output. cat test.sh #!/bin/bash -x logit() { echo " - ${*}" > ${LOG_FILE} } LOG_FILE=/home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log VAR=`find . -type f -name "*sql"` logit $VAR Output: cat /home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SU and Standard Output

Bit of a strange one. Have a script called rapidclone_test.sh which calls Oracle rapidclone using su -c as an oracle osuser. However, if I control+c out to the calling shell anything entered is not displayed on the terminal. Any command executes successfully though. Why is the standard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u20sr
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)