Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rewriting standard output lines Post 302241098 by neked on Sunday 28th of September 2008 11:10:42 AM
Old 09-28-2008
Rewriting standard output lines

Hello I'm curious about how to get a bash script to rewrite a line of standard output. For example, many programs track their progress by writing percentages on the screen:

Precent Done: 60%

That line gets updated periodically to reflect the status.. My question, is how do we do this, as opposed to writing to a new line every time you want to update the progress?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard Output

When I run a third parties program from the command line (this program basically list's a whole load of stuff) and write the output to a file it splits the output, i.e. in the middle of the file appears the exit command. If I don't redirect the output and write it to tty then the output is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output and redirection

Hello, Is is possible to redirect stdout to a file as well as to the console/screen or display in ksh. any thoughts suggestions/input is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables from standard output

What am I doing wrong? I was searching for the answer to assigning variables from output. I found this simple response ls -l apply_want.m | read perms links owner group size mtime1 mtime2 mtime3 file this should allow me to echo the variables echo "$perms | $links | $owner | $group |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whamchaxed
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Standard output redirection from a variable

Hi, trying to store a comand involving a redirection in a variable and then run this variable. But the redirection gets lost. Ex: #!ksh MYCMD="ls -l > dirlist.txt" $MYCMD This runs the command but displays the result in the terminal instead of redirecting it to the text file. Can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rm-r
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Output to Standard Input

Hi All, How do I provide the output of a command to another command which is waiting for an input from the user ? Ex : I need to login to a device via telnet. In the script, initially I use the "read" command to get the IP Address, Username and Password of the device from the user. Now,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sushant172
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect Standard output and standard error into spreadsheet

Hey, I'm completely new at this and I was wondering if there is a way that I would be able to redirect the log files in a directories standard output and standard error into and excel spreadsheet in anyway? Please remember don't use too advanced of terminology as I just started using shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: killaram
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute standard output ?

Alright so i got this script genpipe: echo "$*" |sh genscript file vi file << 'HERE' :%s/^/echo /g :%s/ $//g :%s/ /&\| xargs \.\/plus /g :wq HERE cat file Which generates output like echo 1 | xargs ./plus 2 | xargs ./plus 3 and so on Now i got the next script multiplus, who should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertieboy7
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Command understanding the output file destination in case of standard output!!!!!

I ran the following command. cat abc.c > abc.c I got message the following message from command cat: cat: abc.c : input file is same as the output file How the command came to know of the destination file name as the command is sending output to standard file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capture Multiple Lines Into Variable As Of Standard Output

Hello All, I have the below script and output. cat test.sh #!/bin/bash -x logit() { echo " - ${*}" > ${LOG_FILE} } LOG_FILE=/home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log VAR=`find . -type f -name "*sql"` logit $VAR Output: cat /home/infrmtca/bin/findtest.log -... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SU and Standard Output

Bit of a strange one. Have a script called rapidclone_test.sh which calls Oracle rapidclone using su -c as an oracle osuser. However, if I control+c out to the calling shell anything entered is not displayed on the terminal. Any command executes successfully though. Why is the standard... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: u20sr
1 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - read one line from user input SYNOPSIS
timeout] DESCRIPTION
copies one line (up to a new-line) from the standard input and writes it on the standard output. It returns an exit code of 1 on EOF and always prints at least a new-line. It is often used within shell files to read from the user's terminal. Options recognizes the following command-line option: Timeout after timeout seconds where timeout is an integer value (if a non-integer value is specified, it is converted to an integer; i.e., rounded down). A blank is required between and the timeout argument. This option is not documented in POSIX and other industry standards, and should not be used in portable applications. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following lines in a shell script prompt for a file name and display information about the file: To limit the response time to 10 seconds, use the form: then test for no response. If no response occurs before timeout expires, a default behavior should be provided. WARNINGS
This command is likely to be withdrawn from X/Open standards. Applications using this command might not be portable to other vendors' sys- tems. As an alternative is recommended. SEE ALSO
sh(1), read(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
line(1)