Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: recently updated files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers recently updated files Post 302240517 by vidyadhar85 on Friday 26th of September 2008 02:56:29 AM
Old 09-26-2008
go through the man page of find you can do it..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Copy Files Changed Recently

I have been toying around with a script that will copy all files altered in a development directory over to a testing directory and have been trying to construct the command to meet my needs. Basically I am using find in a directory to see what files have changed over the past 24 hours. Then if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find recently updated files in home directory

Is there a shell command that will allow me to list index files in the /home directory for all users on a server that have been updated within the past 24 hours? (e.g. index.htm .html .php in/home/user1/public_html /home/user2/public_html /home/user3/public_html etc ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kain
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find recently modified/ updated file

hi gurus, i would like to know how can i find logs files which were recently modified or updated? :confused: using this command? find . -name "*.log" -mtime ?? so what should i put for mtime? thanks. wee (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find recently changed files

Hi, Can you guys tell me how do i find the most recently changed files, say an hour before, few hours before, a day before etc.... Thanks!!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a recently updated file

Hi, I am looking for a command to search for a specific file which was recently modified in the current directory leaving some unwanted files to be listed. For example, when I try ls - lrt it shows the following output. I want to ommit the files with the name 'resend' and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files

Number of files will get created in a folder automatically daily.. so i hav to delete the older files other than the recently added 5 files.. Could u help me through this..?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to archive old files from the recently added 10 files?

Hi there, I am very new to unix and having trouble with a fairly simple statement: cd /user ls -t -c1 | sed -ne '11,$p' | mv xargs archive/ What I want the code to do is sort all files in a directory by timestamp, select all of the files after the 10th file, and then move those files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSIReady
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List all files in subdirectories which are modifiled recently.

Hello, I wanted to list all files in subdirectories which are modifiled recently. need to display all files with full details like hpw it display with ls -l ( date, size,..) Thanks Bala (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
apropos(1)							   User Commands							apropos(1)

NAME
apropos - locate commands by keyword lookup SYNOPSIS
apropos keyword... DESCRIPTION
The apropos utility displays the man page name, section number, and a short description for each man page whose NAME line contains keyword. This information is contained in the /usr/share/man/windex database created by catman(1M). If catman(1M) was not run, or was run with the -n option, apropos fails. Each word is considered separately and the case of letters is ignored. Words which are part of other words are considered; for example, when looking for `compile', apropos finds all instances of `compiler' also. apropos is actually just the -k option to the man(1) command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 To find a man page whose NAME line contains a keyword Try example% apropos password and example% apropos editor If the line starts `filename(section) ...' you can run man -s section filename to display the man page for filename. Example 2 To find the man page for the subroutine printf() Try example% apropos format and then example% man -s 3s printf to get the manual page on the subroutine printf(). FILES
/usr/share/man/windex table of contents and keyword database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
man(1), whatis(1), catman(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
/usr/share/man/windex: No such file or directory This database does not exist. catman(1M) must be run to create it. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1996 apropos(1)