Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using grep - check the permissions of the file searched Post 302240510 by Johny001 on Friday 26th of September 2008 02:15:17 AM
Old 09-26-2008
I progresses till this part... I need to link them...trying to do it now...

first using grep command i get the files which contians this patter.
----------------------
$> grep -lr '^A$' ../*
../bakup/file1.txt
../test1/file1.txt
----------------------

Then find command can be used to see the permission of a file.
----------------------
$> find ../ -name "file1.txt" -exec ls -l {} \;
-rw-rw-r-- 1 johny ABC 2 Sep 25 04:39 ../test1/file1.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 johny ABC 2 Sep 25 05:02 ../bakup/file1.txt
----------------------
but the question is how find command will get the file names seached by grep command?

Can anyone suggest?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help. Strings in file 1 need to be searched and removed from file 2

Please help. Here is my problem. I have 9000 lines in file a and 500,000 lines in file b. For each line in file a I need to search file b and remove that line. I am currently using the grep -v command and loading the output into a new file. However, because of the size of file b this takes an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjs3221
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep to check NAN value and nonexistense element in file

Hi, I have a file which computes fields number and some column produced "nan" I would like to convert the "nan" value to 0 basically. q=`echo $i $j |awk '{printf("%f",($2/($1+$2)))}' The above is the command which I use for computation. However, I would like to check if $1 and $2 is 0, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or other ways to output line above and/or below searched line

Hi all, Would like to know how I could search for a string 'xyz' but have the output show the line plus the line above and/or below all lines found. eg. search for xyz from file containing: abc 12345 asdf xyz asdfds wwwww kjkjkj ppppp kkkxyz eeee zzzzz and the output to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammac
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check file permissions from a script.

hello, I have to write a script to run the other script inside it.So iam planning to write like this? first check the perimissions of the file. Alogorthim ---------- if(!filepermissions == execute) then echo" Permissions denined" else execute the script. file name is : load_mf.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting file content into a searched pattern

Hi, i have to insert the content of source.txt into the searched pattern of the file second.txt. $cat source.txt One Two Three . . $cat second.txt This is second file pattern match start here pattern match end here end of the file so the result will be like this (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
4 Replies

6. Programming

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check the file permissions using python scripting

Hi, For a particular set of files, am trying to check if they are writable. i.e., checking whether they are having permissions greater than 755. Am able to check this using the statement: "if (os.path.isfile(FILE_PATH) and (os.stat(FILE_PATH).st_mode & 0777) == 0777):" But the problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX

Is there a way to check when the permissions for the file got changed in AIX IS there some file which logs all these details? Best regards, Vishal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut line from searched file if grep find neighbor columns

Hello All, While searching for the question, I found some answers but my implementation is not giving expected output. I have two files; one is sourcefile, other is named template. What I want to do is to search each line in template, when found all columns, cut the matching line from source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the best way to check file permissions before moving files if needed?

Hello, I would like to know if it's a good practice to check the file permissions of the contents of a directory before moving them. For example: mv -- "$directory"/* "$directory"/.* "$directory"/..?* "$destination"The variables $directory and $destination contain the path to an existing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
6 Replies
merge(1)						      General Commands Manual							  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
combines two files that are revisions of a single original file. The original file is file2, and the revised files are file1 and file3. identifies all changes that lead from file2 to file3 and from file2 to file1, then deposits the merged text into file1. If the option is used, the result goes to standard output instead of file1. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in the same place. prints how many overlaps occurred, and includes both alterna- tives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: lines in file1 lines in file3 If there are overlaps, edit the result in file1 and delete one of the alternatives. This command is particularly useful for revision control, especially if file1 and file3 are the ends of two branches that have file2 as a common ancestor. EXAMPLES
A typical use for is as follows: 1. To merge an RCS branch into the trunk, first check out the three different versions from RCS (see co(1)) and rename them for their revision numbers: 5.2, 5.11, and 5.2.3.3. File 5.2.3.3 is the end of an RCS branch that split off the trunk at file 5.2. 2. For this example, assume file 5.11 is the latest version on the trunk, and is also a revision of the "original" file, 5.2. Merge the branch into the trunk with the command: 3. File 5.11 now contains all changes made on the branch and the trunk, and has markings in the file to show all overlapping changes. 4. Edit file 5.11 to correct the overlaps, then use the command to check the file back in (see ci(1)). WARNINGS
uses the ed(1) system editor. Therefore, the file size limits of ed(1) apply to AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). merge(1)