Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Append to beginning of a file Post 302240203 by era on Thursday 25th of September 2008 07:25:47 AM
Old 09-25-2008
Unix file systems do not generally allow for insertion. You will basically have to do something like

Code:
cat new old >temp
mv temp old

The sed i and r command might be useful to look at, though.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat a file from end to beginning

Is there an option, for cat, head, tail, or is there any way, to display a file from last line to first? For example, my file looks like this: aaaa bbbb cccc eeee and I would like to print or display it like this: eeee cccc bbbb aaaa thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append (cat) to beginning of file ?

Hi, Fairly new to unix scripting, hoping to get some help. using AIX v5 Basically I have 3 files 1). Header record 2). many detail record 3). Trailer record My desired result is 1 file which contains Heaeder, Detail, Trailer Currenty I am using a series of: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: CBZ
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending at the beginning of the file.

Hi, I am using ">>" to append to the existing file but I appens to the end of the file but I want to add tne new things at the beginning. Do we have any functionality to do that? Thanks, Siba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

4. Linux

Add file's date at beginning of every line in file

How would I do that? /Rutger (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rutgerblom
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count Number Of lines in text files and append values to beginning of file

Hello, I have 50 text files in a directory called "AllFiles" I want to make a program that will go inside of the "AllFiles" Directory and count the number of lines in each individual text file. Then, the program will calculate how many more lines there are over 400 in each text file and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: motoxeryz125
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable texts to the beginning of each line in all files in a directory

I am writing a code to append some numbers in the beginning of each line in all the files present in a directory. The number of files are really huge. The files are numbered as 1.sco, 2.sco, 4.sco (Note: 3.sco is missing). The files currently look like this: 1.sco 2 3 5 6 6 7My task is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append file name to the beginning of each line

I want to append file names at the beginning of a line for each row file content abc.txt.gz 123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz 876|trf|kjh I want a single output file with below format abc.txt.gz|123|654|987 bcd.txt.gz|876|trf|kjh This one is working but only with unzip files,need to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakesh5300
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Multiple files with file name in the beginning of line

Hi, I have multiple files having many lines like as bvelow: file Name a.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 file Name b.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 I would like to append files in the below format to a new file: file Name c.txt (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Append data to the content at the beginning of a variable?

Hi Guys, IF i have to append data to a variable, i simply use the following. What can i do to append data to the beginning? VAR+="data" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append in the beginning not at the end?

Hi, I now that >> will append text to the end of the text that is already inside the file. How to append the new text infront of the text that is already in the file. Thanks for any input. Regards, Chandu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrakanth
3 Replies
NETWORKCTL(1)							    networkctl							     NETWORKCTL(1)

NAME
networkctl - Query the status of network links SYNOPSIS
networkctl [OPTIONS...] COMMAND [LINK...] DESCRIPTION
networkctl may be used to introspect the state of the network links as seen by systemd-networkd. Please refer to systemd- networkd.service(8) for an introduction to the basic concepts, functionality, and configuration syntax. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -a --all Show all links with status. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. --no-legend Do not print the legend, i.e. column headers and the footer with hints. --no-pager Do not pipe output into a pager. COMMANDS
The following commands are understood: list [LINK...] Show a list of existing links and their status. If no further arguments are specified shows all links, otherwise just the specified links. Produces output similar to: IDX LINK TYPE OPERATIONAL SETUP 1 lo loopback carrier unmanaged 2 eth0 ether routable configured 3 virbr0 ether no-carrier unmanaged 4 virbr0-nic ether off unmanaged 4 links listed. status [LINK...] Show information about the specified links: type, state, kernel module driver, hardware and IP address, configured DNS servers, etc. When no links are specified, an overall network status is shown. Also see the option --all. Produces output similar to: State: routable Address: 10.193.76.5 on eth0 192.168.122.1 on virbr0 169.254.190.105 on eth0 fe80::5054:aa:bbbb:cccc on eth0 Gateway: 10.193.11.1 (CISCO SYSTEMS, INC.) on eth0 DNS: 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4 lldp [LINK...] Show discovered LLDP (Link Layer Discovery Protocol) neighbors. If one or more link names are specified only neighbors on those interfaces are shown. Otherwise shows discovered neighbors on all interfaces. Note that for this feature to work, LLDP= must be turned on on the specific interface, see systemd.network(5) for details. Produces output similar to: LINK CHASSIS ID SYSTEM NAME CAPS PORT ID PORT DESCRIPTION enp0s25 00:e0:4c:00:00:00 GS1900 ..b........ 2 Port #2 Capability Flags: o - Other; p - Repeater; b - Bridge; w - WLAN Access Point; r - Router; t - Telephone; d - DOCSIS cable device; a - Station; c - Customer VLAN; s - Service VLAN, m - Two-port MAC Relay (TPMR) 1 neighbors listed. label Show numerical address labels that can be used for address selection. This is the same information that ip-addrlabel(8) shows. See RFC 3484[1] for a discussion of address labels. Produces output similar to: Prefix/Prefixlen Label ::/0 1 fc00::/7 5 fec0::/10 11 2002::/16 2 3ffe::/16 12 2001:10::/28 7 2001::/32 6 ::ffff:0.0.0.0/96 4 ::/96 3 ::1/128 0 EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd-networkd.service(8), systemd.network(5), systemd.netdev(5), ip(8) NOTES
1. RFC 3484 https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3484 systemd 237 NETWORKCTL(1)