Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create shotcuts to the directories Post 302240022 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 25th of September 2008 12:59:06 AM
Old 09-25-2008
One possible approach would be to create symbolic links (ln -s <dirname> <shortcutname>)from your home directory. That would allow you to type cd dirname and get where you need to go but only from your homedir (ie you'd have to type 'cd' on it's own to get back there before changing to the next dir).

Alternatively, you could create aliases (such as 'cdproject1') to do this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I create & Maintain directories

I need to either create or use a current directory to provide a path for a windows file, how do I do that? kimj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kimjones142001
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create directories

Hi... Can any1 help me by telling me the way to create multiple directories using single command.... to create 1 directory.. mkdir is used.... :D but how to create multiple direcs. like 4 direc. i tried .... $ mkdir a; mkdir b; mkdir c; mkdir d But its 4 commands in a single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abishekmag
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create short form for directories?

Hi Friends, Can you please tell me how to create short form for directories? like, this is a directory: /usr/tmp/progs/scripts when i give cd $short_name, it should take to the above path. in which env setting do i have to set? Thanks, Rashmy. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to create 3 different new directories under the same path

Hi, Iam new to UNIX...My requirement is to create 3 dir as an hierarchy under /var/opt/temip.The output should be /var/opt/temip/GP_Int/GPTTS/AUTO. I have tried the following script...But only GP_int folder is getting created and not other folders...Can someone help??? #!/usr/bin/ksh #script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Llb
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create directories from a sql file?

Hi, I have a sql file which has CREATE and INSERT commands in it. Basically, inside this file, a table will be created and the data will be inserted into the table. I was wondering if there is a way for me to create directories from this file? Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tezarin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create duplicate directories with same permissions

Hi all, I need to create duplicate directories and sub directories (only the directories not the files or file contents) with the same permissions. Can some one guide me in doing this. I could able to create but here the permissions should be the same how can i do this in linux. Thanks in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivia
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create multiple directories with awk

Hello all. Newbie here. In a directory, I have 50 files and one additional file that is a list of the names of the 50 files. I would like to create a directory for each of the 50 files, and I need the 50 directory names to correspond to the 50 file names. I know this can be done by running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zeckendorff
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create 2 directories in one command

Hi how can i create 2 directories in two different directories ($HOME and $PWD) with 1 command? dir 1 in $HOME and dir2 in $PWD (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create automated Directories

Hi, On serverB i wish to have a script that creates ONLY & EXACTLY the same folder structure that i provide on ServerA. Thus if serverA has a folder "Output" under /opt/app/Output and has the below folders under Output Output Output/logs Output/reciever Output/data... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies
SSS_USERADD(8)							 SSSD Manual pages						    SSS_USERADD(8)

NAME
sss_useradd - create a new user SYNOPSIS
sss_useradd [options] LOGIN DESCRIPTION
sss_useradd creates a new user account using the values specified on the command line plus the default values from the system. OPTIONS
-u,--uid UID Set the UID of the user to the value of UID. If not given, it is chosen automatically. -c,--gecos COMMENT Any text string describing the user. Often used as the field for the user's full name. -h,--home HOME_DIR The home directory of the user account. The default is to append the LOGIN name to /home and use that as the home directory. The base that is prepended before LOGIN is tunable with "user_defaults/baseDirectory" setting in sssd.conf. -s,--shell SHELL The user's login shell. The default is currently /bin/bash. The default can be changed with "user_defaults/defaultShell" setting in sssd.conf. -G,--groups GROUPS A list of existing groups this user is also a member of. -m,--create-home Create the user's home directory if it does not exist. The files and directories contained in the skeleton directory (which can be defined with the -k option or in the config file) will be copied to the home directory. -M,--no-create-home Do not create the user's home directory. Overrides configuration settings. -k,--skel SKELDIR The skeleton directory, which contains files and directories to be copied in the user's home directory, when the home directory is created by sss_useradd. This option is only valid if the -m (or --create-home) option is specified, or creation of home directories is set to TRUE in the configuration. -Z,--selinux-user SELINUX_USER The SELinux user for the user's login. If not specified, the system default will be used. -h,--help Display help message and exit. THE LOCAL DOMAIN
In order to function correctly, a domain with "id_provider=local" must be created and the SSSD must be running. The administrator might want to use the SSSD local users instead of traditional UNIX users in cases where the group nesting (see sss_groupadd(8)) is needed. The local users are also useful for testing and development of the SSSD without having to deploy a full remote server. The sss_user* and sss_group* tools use a local LDB storage to store users and groups. SEE ALSO
sss_groupadd(8), sss_groupdel(8), sss_groupshow(8), sss_groupmod(8), sss_userdel(8), sss_usermod(8). AUTHORS
The SSSD upstream - http://fedorahosted.org/sssd SSSD
03/04/2013 SSS_USERADD(8)