Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux security patches
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux security patches Post 302239875 by era on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 03:26:11 PM
Old 09-24-2008
A malicious local user could mount those attacks just as well. Security updates are made as minimal as possible in order to remove as many upgrade barriers as possible, but you should probably scan through the upgrade notes before committing. If you don't have Java or Flash installed then obviously those packages will not need to be upgraded, so it might be a smaller project than it seems at first.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix, Linux Patches

How are patches for vulnerabilities deployed for UNIX, and Linux? How are customers alerted of patches and updates for each company? Are the patches deployed automatically? Is there a certain day that they are deployed or ready for use? I have done several different kinds of search at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: purplebear
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Security or Necessary patches

Hi All, I would like to ask some questions, I have an Solaris 10 and RHEL which is install in separate machine.. The question is: 1. how can I check the latest patches or latest update in my machine? (I need a step or command) 2. where can I get the latest security patch or necessary patch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
5 Replies

3. Red Hat

RHEL Security Patches

Hi all, :) I'm quite new with installation of security patches in Linux Redhat Enterprise, here's my question. I have 2 machine of this RHEL(never patch before) since it never connects directly to the internet(block by firewall) and I want to update the patches now because my boss asked me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
2 Replies

4. Linux

Linux Patches

How do you determine the missing security patches on a Linux Server, I think in Solaris you could use showrev -p but unsure of the Linux alternative, or any tool to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevej123
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Regarding application of security patches RHEL 5.5

Hi Is there a direct way to apply a particular security advisory on the system. Presently we have certain security advisories to be applied which require installation of multiple rpms and their dependencies. These rpms as listed in the security advisory also mention that they have been... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapanvas
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

How do I install security patches with no internet access?

Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux and I want to download security patches and install them on RHEL 5.4. I've searched the red hat web site but cant seem to find where the download link is. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jardoo
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Patches for Red Hat Linux

i am installing an application and i am getting this error message about patches Would you like to see system information? Operating System Information Name: Linux Architecture: i386 Version: 2.6.32-431.el6.x86_64 Required OS Patch Levels Passed Name ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
4 Replies

8. AIX

Need command to find missing operating system security patches

Hi, Need a command to find out Missing operating system patches for AIX 7.1 or a command to list down all installed patches. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mona Khandelwal
1 Replies
scversions(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    scversions(1M)

NAME
scversions - Sun Cluster version management SYNOPSIS
scversions [-c] DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. The scversions command commits the cluster to a new level of functionality after a rolling-upgrade to new Sun Cluster software. With no arguments, the scversions command prints a message indicating whether a commitment is needed. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: -c Commit the set of nodes that are currently active members of the cluster to the highest possible level of functionality. When you upgrade a node (either through upgrade to a new release of the product or by application of a patch) and boot it back into the cluster, some of the internal protocols on that node might have to run at lower versions in order to cooperate cor- rectly with other nodes in the cluster. When the cluster is in this state, some administrative actions might be disabled and some new functionality introduced in the upgrade might be unavailable. When you run this command once from any node after all nodes are upgraded, the cluster switches to the highest versions of internal protocols possible. Assuming that all nodes have the same Sun Cluster software installed at that time, all new func- tionality becomes available and any administrative restrictions are removed. If a node that has not been upgraded is an active member of the cluster at the time you run the -c option to scversions, the command has no effect because the cluster is already running at the highest possible level of functionality. If a node has not been upgraded and is not an active member of the cluster when you run the -c option to scversions (for exam- ple, if that node is down for maintenance), the internal protocols of the cluster are upgraded to the highest possible ver- sions. You might have to upgrade the node that was not an active member of the cluster to enable it to rejoin the cluster. EXIT STATUS
0 Success non-zero Failure ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
scinstall(1M) Sun Cluster 3.2 17 Aug 2007 scversions(1M)