Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever <-- what does this mean? Post 302239736 by jimmyc on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 10:20:49 AM
Old 09-24-2008
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever <-- what does this mean?

Just looking at my ethernet interface.. I see this response... what does this mean...?

ipconfig...
lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 16436 qdisc noqueue
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

What does this mean what is it telling me ??

Thanks all !!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 4.3.3 takes forever to log in

Hi all, my RS/6k 7043 150 with aix 4.3.3 takes FOREVER to log in. When I power the machine on, the boot process procedes normally and I get 2 short beeps (which I don't recall hearing before) and then I get the login window. If I log in, as root, say, the machine goes to its usual blue screen... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jwoollard
3 Replies

2. Programming

msgrcv pending forever !!!

When I am using msgrcv to get a message from a queue, in case of msgsnd some error, the msgrcv thread will waiting forever. Is there some way that I can specify a time out value for this queue ? just let msgrcv wait for some time, if no message comes during this time slot, msgrcv just return... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yun Gang Chen
3 Replies

3. Solaris

user password forever

Hi I am very new for Solaris, I want to make some users' passwords never expired. My ssytem kernel is: 5.8 # uname -a SunOS sspfs_svr 5.8 Generic_117000-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-240 Could you make some advice? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
5 Replies

4. Linux

I want to mount my disk forever

Hi guys! I've just mounted my drive in fstab: /dev/sdb /myfolder ext3 defaults 0 0 and rebooted linux. I've got severel failers during booting process and also I can't login as root first time: login: root password:root incorrect login login:user password: user ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junior Admin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n have to make a newline forever?

I'm trying to make a little script, but I have a problem... I'm trying to sed a list of files made with a ls > filename.txt... Two variables (or i may call them constant because they are fixed values :D): ststr1 and ststr2 I want to sed s/"$ststr1"/"$ststr2"/g filename.txt >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlamax
5 Replies

6. Programming

pthread_cond_timedwait relocks forever

looking in pthread's source code I can see that as an epilogue both pthread_cond_timedwait and pthread_cond_wait will try to relock the mutex by means of __pthread_mutex_cond_lock. Does this mean that any of them both could eventually block forever if the mutex is never again available after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramestica
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Forever Script Strangely Exiting

Hi, I have a really simple script which I want to run forever, inside the loop it runs a C application which if it exits should restart. #!/bin/sh while true do ./SCF scf.conf >> scf.log sleep 2 done For some reason the SCF C application coredumps and the script is exiting.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marvinwright
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Failed dependencies loop forever

Hello All, I was trying to install one rpm and it failed due to missing dependencies, when I try to look at the dependencies and try to install them it is asking for 100+ dependencies, did any one ever face this problem? how can we fix this? rpm -ivh /var/tmp/erlang-R15B-02.1.el6.x86_64.rpm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovesaikrishna
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Forever -w option

I am trying to use the forever command. I can get it to work if I do not use the w option to watch for changes and cause an automatic restart on a change to the contents of the directory being watched. I would really like to use the watch option. Is this option fully implemented? here is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrygordon
4 Replies
LO(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     LO(4)

NAME
lo -- software loopback network interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device loop DESCRIPTION
The loop interface is a software loopback mechanism which may be used for performance analysis, software testing, and/or local communication. As with other network interfaces, the loopback interface must have network addresses assigned for each address family with which it is to be used. These addresses may be set or changed with the SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The loopback interface should be the last interface configured, as protocols may use the order of configuration as an indication of priority. The loopback should never be configured first unless no hard- ware interfaces exist. The loopback interface lo0 is created at boottime, it always exists and cannot be destroyed with ifconfig(8). Additional loopback interfaces can be created by using the ifconfig(8) create command. DIAGNOSTICS
lo%d: can't handle af%d . The interface was handed a message with addresses formatted in an unsuitable address family; the packet was dropped. SEE ALSO
inet(4), intro(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The lo device appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Previous versions of the system enabled the loopback interface automatically, using a nonstandard Internet address (127.1). Use of that address is now discouraged; a reserved host address for the local network should be used instead. BSD
September 3, 2006 BSD