Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TOP Command problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers TOP Command problem Post 302239583 by Sgiri1 on Wednesday 24th of September 2008 04:23:18 AM
Old 09-24-2008
TOP Command problem

Can some body please let me know what would be the o/p of the below process

run 'top' command
then type O
then in new screen Type N
you will get processes sorted by memory
then from there copy top 10 lines
and take PID for each
and do - ps -ef | grep <the PID> - for each

What would be the o/p of the final step ?
Can some one paste the screen shot.
It would of very much help to me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command --> top

I understand the numbers displayed in variable "load average". My question: what are the correct/ideal numbers? Sometimes, I got less than 1. Others, above 6. Also, what HW/SW should I tune in order to have the ideal numbers? Thank you ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgromerog
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command --> top

What is the numbers show in a variable "Load Average"? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madness
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

somewhat unusual top output problem

i'm a relative newbie to unix (i'm on OSX) and i have a specific problem i'm tripped up on: i'm piping the output of top (in log format) into an awk command which formats the information (and eventually will send it out continuously via udp/osc to another app). my problem is with what comes up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ohhmyhead
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
0 Replies

5. Solaris

top command

Hi, How to install software package top in solaris, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Problem using a top command alias in my profile

Hi- I am newish to the mac osx unix interface. I want to set up top so that it always displays the username. I can use this command to do this: top -ocpu -P ' PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE USER' -p '$aaaa ^bbbbbbbbb $cccc $wwwwwww $ee... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikey11415
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with top command

Currently when i run top command i get the following columns . CPU TTY PID USERNAME PRI NI SIZE RES STATE TIME %WCPU %CPU COMMAND In this how to remove '%WCPU' column ? Thanks very much in advance . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpravinraj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies
XOSD(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   XOSD(1)

NAME
osd_cat - X on-screen file displayer SYNOPSIS
osd_cat [OPTION] [FILE]... osd_cat -b percentage|slider [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
Display FILE, or standard input, on X screen. -p, --pos=POS This option tells osd_cat where to display the text. POS can be top, middle, or bottom. The default is top. -o, --offset=OFFSET This option specifies the offset from the top or bottom of screen the text is displayed. The default is 0. -A, --align=ALIGN This option tells osd_cat where to display the text. ALIGN can be left, right or center. The default is left. -i, --indent=OFFSET This option specifies the INDENT from the left of screen the text is displayed. The default is 0. -f, --font=FONT This option specifies the FONT to be used for displaying the text. The default is fixed. -c, --color=COLOR This option specifies the COLOR to be used for displaying the text. The default is red. -d, --delay=TIME This option specifies the number of seconds the text is displayed. The default is 5 seconds. -l, --lines=LINES This option specifies the number of LINES to scroll the display over. The default is 5. -s, --shadow=OFFSET This option specifies the OFFSET of the text shadow. The default is 0, which means no text shadow is created. -S, --shadowcolour=COLOUR This option specifies the COLOUR of the text shadow. The default is black. -O, --outline=WIDTH This option specifies the WIDTH of the text outline. The default is 0, which is no outline. -u, --outlinecolour=COLOUR This option specifies the COLOUR of the text outline. The default is black. -a, --age[=SCROLL_AGE] This option affects screen redrawing. If SCROLL_AGE seconds pass before a new line is ready (for example, you're reading from a pipe), all lines are cleared at once instead of being scrolled off as new lines replace old lines. The default is 0. When no SCROLL_AGE is explicitly given, the current value from DELAY is used. -w, --wait This option also affects screen redrawing. When there is data ready to be put on screen, this option will cause osd_cat to wait until the display is clear. An alternative to scrolling. -b, --barmode=TYPE Lets you display a percentage or slider bar instead of just text. TYPE may be percentage or slider. In this mode no text is read from any file, but the following options can be used: -P, --percentage=PERCENTAGE This option specified the position of the percentage / slider bar. PERCENTAGE may be in the range from 0 to 100, the default is 50. -T, --text=TEXT This option specifies an optional TEXT which gets displayed above the percentage bar. The default is empty, so no additional text is displayed. -h, --help display help (which is often more up to date) and exit With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Martijn van de Streek <martijn@foodfight.org>, Some patching done by Malcolm Valentine <farkit@iprimus.com.au> and Tim Wright <tim@ignavus.net>. xosd was written by Andre Renaud <andre@ignavus.net> and is maintained by Tim Wright <tim@ignavus.net> SEE ALSO
More information on the X OSD Library and its author can be found on http://www.ignavus.net/software.html <http://www.ignavus.net/software.html> COPYRIGHT
It is distributed under the GNU General Public License. X OSD cat January 2001 XOSD(1)