Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RHEL New UP2DATE Method
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL New UP2DATE Method Post 302239501 by flekzout on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 11:23:52 PM
Old 09-24-2008
This is really good reference, really.. I try to use the 'search' function above, about rhel patches and I found this. right now, I'm facing a same thing like you did.

My servers never connects to the internet at all. it blocks by firewall. but suddenly my boss asked me to update those servers, because it is related to security issue where I think it is not really necessary since it did not connect to the internet at all. as what you said above "if ain't broke, don't fix it"

Now I'm getting my head spinning of the security patches that I need to install. I really think it is not necessary to updates, because in order to updates those security patches from

Code:
  http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel4-extras-errata-security.html

I need this server to connect to the internet. why we should connect to the internet and patch this security while we never use it for any purposes that related to connect to internet?

Thanks.

Last edited by flekzout; 09-24-2008 at 12:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

up2date -i package

Hi, I'm under Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon) and I want to go from compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.122 to compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.128. Then I downloaded compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.128 and I issued : up2date -i compat-gcc But I receive : This system may not be updated until it is associated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 4 up2date

has someone ever update their servers using up2date? I already got my server listed in the up2date redhat network and there is security updates and so on. the thing is I would like to know, whether is there any steps on to download it in 1 server and apply it to the other servers?? so something... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
3 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi folks, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and PXE. OS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
0 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

up2date command not found on Ent. 6.2 install

Folks; New to redhat coming from hp-ux.. After fresh install of Ent 6.2, can not find up2date on the system except the manpage .. Does 6.2 stop using up2date ?? Googled it but nothing concrete came up.. Thnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Error throwing while installing vsftpd package in rhel 6. using rhel 6 dvd.

Hi all, Im studying rhcsa as of now, so yum installation and dependencies are messing me to not workit out. i have dual os, win 7 & rhel 6. i have tried this installation of vsftpd package with rhel 6 dvd in VM rhel 6 in win 7 as well as host rhel 6.still the same issue. below error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

RHEL 6, Spacewalk 2.3 unable to download RHEL 5 repo data

Hello all, I am having a bit of an issue on my Spacewalk installation. Some amplifying information is that it is Spacewalk 2.3 installed on a RHEL 6 machine and I am attempting to install/update a RHEL 5 channel/repository. I am fairly new to Spacewalk so I am still learning but this is what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstone4646
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Windows->RHEL->RHEL X11 Forwarding?

I know this question might have been asked a lot but couldn't find anything that worked. From a windows machine 'A' I can only SSH into Linux server 'B' from where I can SSH into another Linux server 'C'. I need to be able to run GUI interfaces on server C which run on my Windows machine. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hr.prasan
3 Replies
snmptranslate(1m)														 snmptranslate(1m)

NAME
snmptranslate - translate SNMP OID values into a more useful form SYNOPSIS
/usr/sfw/bin/snmptranslate [-D token...] [-h] [-m miblist] [-M dirlist] [-T transopts] [common options] OID [OID...] snmptranslate is an application that translates one or more SNMP object identifier values from their symbolic (text) forms into their numerical forms or vice-versa. OID is either a numeric or text object identifier. The following options are supported: -D token[,...] Turn on debugging output for the specified token(s). Use ALL for extremely verbose output. -h Display a brief usage message and then exit. -m miblist Specifies a colon-separated list of MIB modules to load for this application. This overrides the environment variable MIBS. The special keyword ALL is used to specify all modules in all directories when searching for MIB files. Every file whose name does not begin with "." is parsed as if it were a MIB file. -M dirlist Specifies a colon-separated list of directories to search for MIBs. This overrides the environment variable MIBDIRS. -T transopts Provides control over the translation of the OID values. The following transopts are available: -Td Display full details of the specified OID. -Tp Display a graphical tree, rooted at the specified OID. -Ta Dump the loaded MIB in a trivial form. -Tl Dump a labeled form of all objects. -To Dump a numeric form of all objects. -Ts Dump a symbolic form of all objects. -Tt Dump a tree form of the loaded MIBs (mostly useful for debugging). -V Display version information for the application and then exit. -w width Specifies the width of -Tp and -Td output. The default is very large. In addition to the preceding options, snmptranslate takes the OID input (-I), MIB parsing (-M) and OID output (-O) options described in the INPUT OPTIONS, MIB PARSING OPTIONS and OUTPUT OPTIONS sections of snmpcmd(1M). Example 1: Expanding sysDescr The following command translates sysDescr to a more qualified form: % snmptranslate -On -IR sysDescr .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1 The following command does further translation of sysDescr: % snmptranslate -Onf -IR sysDescr .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr Again, the following command does further translates sysDescr: % snmptranslate -Td -IR -OS system.sysDescr SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr sysDescr OBJECT-TYPE -- FROM SNMPv2-MIB -- TEXTUAL CONVENTION DisplayString SYNTAX OCTET STRING (0..255) DISPLAY-HINT "255a" MAX-ACCESS read-only STATUS current DESCRIPTION "A textual description of the entity. This value should include the full name and version identification of the system's hardware type, software operating-system, and networking software." ::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) system(1) 1 } Example 2: Displaying a Tree The following command displays the tree shown below: % snmptranslate -Tp -IR -OS system +--system(1) | +-- -R-- String sysDescr(1) | Textual Convention: DisplayString | Size: 0..255 +-- -R-- ObjID sysObjectID(2) +-- -R-- TimeTicks sysUpTime(3) | | | +-- sysUpTimeInstance(0) | +-- -RW- String sysContact(4) | Textual Convention: DisplayString | Size: 0..255 +-- -RW- String sysName(5) | Textual Convention: DisplayString | Size: 0..255 +-- -RW- String sysLocation(6) | Textual Convention: DisplayString | Size: 0..255 +-- -R-- INTEGER sysServices(7) | Range: 0..127 +-- -R-- TimeTicks sysORLastChange(8) | Textual Convention: TimeStamp | +--sysORTable(9) | +--sysOREntry(1) | Index: sysORIndex(1) | +-- ---- INTEGER sysORIndex(1) | Range: 1..2147483647 +-- -R-- ObjID sysORID(2) +-- -R-- String sysORDescr(3) | Textual Convention: DisplayString | Size: 0..255 +-- -R-- TimeTicks sysORUpTime(4) Textual Convention: TimeStamp Example 3: Dumping MIB Contents The commands shown below produce the dumps that follow. % snmptranslate -Ta | head dump DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN org ::= { iso 3 } dod ::= { org 6 } internet ::= { dod 1 } directory ::= { internet 1 } mgmt ::= { internet 2 } experimental ::= { internet 3 } private ::= { internet 4 } security ::= { internet 5 } snmpV2 ::= { internet 6 } Here is use of the -Tl option: % snmptranslate -Tl | head .iso(1).org(3) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).directory(1) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).system(1) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).system(1).sysDescr(1) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).system(1).sysObjectID(2) .iso(1).org(3).dod(6).internet(1).mgmt(2).mib-2(1).system(1).sysUpTime(3) Here is the use of the -To option: % snmptranslate -To | head .1.3 .1.3.6 .1.3.6.1 .1.3.6.1.1 .1.3.6.1.2 .1.3.6.1.2.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3 Here is the use of the -Ts option: % snmptranslate -Ts | head .iso.org .iso.org.dod .iso.org.dod.internet .iso.org.dod.internet.directory .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2 .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysObjectID .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysUpTime Here is the use of the -Tt option: % snmptranslate -Tt | head org(3) type=0 dod(6) type=0 internet(1) type=0 directory(1) type=0 mgmt(2) type=0 mib-2(1) type=0 system(1) type=0 sysDescr(1) type=2 tc=4 hint=255a sysObjectID(2) type=1 sysUpTime(3) type=8 0 Successful completion. 1 A usage syntax error. A usage message is displayed. Also used for matching object errors, after which an error message is dis- played. 2 An error occurred while executing the command. An error message is displayed. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsmcmd | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ snmpcmd(1M), snmp_variables(4), attributes(5) 21 Jan 2004 snmptranslate(1m)