Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrapper script for image deployment - stdin/stdout - named pipes and the like Post 302239421 by andreas.ericson on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 03:35:41 PM
Old 09-23-2008
Thanks for your reply!

That would work excellently if the application doing the imaging was open source or my own application, problem is it is proprietary closed source.

Thus, I need to run it in the background and read its output to know when to prompt for a new cd, and then send input, keystrokes more specifically, to the program to tell it to continue.

Unless anyone has a better idea Smilie

Edit: In clarification:

I have been able to use mkfifo to redirect output to another shells input, for example. One thing I am unable to do however is sending a simple ENTER key-stroke.

Perhaps I am using the wrong tools to write to the input? I am using echo so far, searching for other methods...

Last edited by andreas.ericson; 09-24-2008 at 04:12 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

named pipes

Hi I am having trouble with a script to export individual schemas to tape from an oracle database. Basicaly I need to export each shema through a pipe with compression and store each shema name in a file with the relevant tape marker. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIFO named pipes

Hi...Can anyone please guide me on FIFO Pipes in UNIX.I have lerant things like creating fifo pipes,using them for reads and writes etc.I want to know what is the maximum amount of memory that such a pipe may have? Also can anyone guide me on where to get info on this topic from? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tee into 2 named pipes

The following code does not work (zsh, Solaris), but works without the first line (files instead of pipes) :confused: mkfifo p1 p2 echo "Hello" | tee p1 > p2 & paste p1 p2 I would high appreciate any help to fix it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

named pipes

How to have a conversation between 2 processes using named pipes? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanchan_agr
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

remove named pipes

Hi, Please help me on this. I am creating a named pipe in a kshell script. I am using mkfifo pipe_name command to create the pipe. I want to remove the named pipe after my work is completed. How can i do that. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chintapalli001
8 Replies

7. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipes

hi, i am working on a script for oracle export, m using a parameter file... i want to compress the dump file that is generated.. in my script following is the code i have written. i am not able to generata .gz file mknod /tmp/exp_tesd1_pipe p gzip -cNf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies
enhance(1)							   User Commands							enhance(1)

NAME
enhance - enhanced command-line editing facilities SYNOPSIS
enhance command [argument]... DESCRIPTION
The enhance program provides enhanced command-line editing facilities to users of third party applications, to which one doesn't have any source code. It does this by placing a pseudo-terminal between the application and the real terminal. It uses the tecla command-line edit- ing library to read input from the real terminal, then forwards each just completed input line to the application via the pseudo-terminal. All output from the application is forwarded back unchanged to the real terminal. Whenever the application stops generating output for more than a tenth of a second, the enhance program treats the latest incomplete output line as the prompt, and re-displays any incompleted input line that the user has typed after it. The small delay, which is imperceptible to the user, isn't necessary for correct operation of the program. It is just an optimization, designed to stop the input line from being re- displayed so often that it slows down output. The user-level command-line editing facilities provided by the Tecla library are documented in the tecla(5) man page DEFICIENCIES The one major problem that hasn't been solved yet, is how to deal with applications that change whether typed input is echo'd by their con- trolling terminal. For example, programs that ask for a password, such as ftp and telnet, temporarily tell their controlling terminal not to echo what the user types. Since this request goes to the application side of the pseudo terminal, the enhance program has no way of knowing that this has happened, and continues to echo typed input to its controlling terminal, while the user types their password. Furthermore, before executing the host application, the enhance program initially sets the pseudo terminal to noecho mode, so that every- thing that it sends to the program doesn't get redundantly echoed. If a program that switches to noecho mode explicitly restores echoing afterwards, rather than restoring the terminal modes that were previously in force, then subsequently, every time that you enter a new input line, a duplicate copy will be displayed on the next line. FILES
/usr/lib/libtecla.so tecla library ~/.teclarc tecla personal customization file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libtecla(3LIB), attributes(5), tecla(5) SunOS 5.11 18 May 2004 enhance(1)