Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Wrapper script for image deployment - stdin/stdout - named pipes and the like Post 302239340 by Keith Daniels on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 11:00:51 AM
Old 09-23-2008
I'm not sure I understand "exactly" your problem with user input, but here is a "simple minded" first cut.

I would use

echo ="Please insert next CD"
Then I would insert a test loop here, to test every few seconds for the "new" CD and flash the message again if it wasn't there. When it is detected, the loop exits back to the script and continues with processing.

Or if you trust the user, a simple:

echo ="Please insert next CD and press enter when it is inserted"
read

construct would do. The problem here is that the script is on hold until the user remembers to press enter and pressing it before the CD is ready could cause problems depending on your code.

I will be gone for a week so I will not be able to discuss this further. Hope this helps and as they say "Have Fun"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

named pipes

Hi I am having trouble with a script to export individual schemas to tape from an oracle database. Basicaly I need to export each shema through a pipe with compression and store each shema name in a file with the relevant tape marker. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: truma1
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

PIPEs and Named PIPEs (FIFO) Buffer size

Hello! How I can increase or decrease predefined pipe buffer size? System FreeBSD 4.9 and RedHat Linux 9.0 Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIFO named pipes

Hi...Can anyone please guide me on FIFO Pipes in UNIX.I have lerant things like creating fifo pipes,using them for reads and writes etc.I want to know what is the maximum amount of memory that such a pipe may have? Also can anyone guide me on where to get info on this topic from? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tee into 2 named pipes

The following code does not work (zsh, Solaris), but works without the first line (files instead of pipes) :confused: mkfifo p1 p2 echo "Hello" | tee p1 > p2 & paste p1 p2 I would high appreciate any help to fix it. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzol
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

named pipes

How to have a conversation between 2 processes using named pipes? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanchan_agr
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

remove named pipes

Hi, Please help me on this. I am creating a named pipe in a kshell script. I am using mkfifo pipe_name command to create the pipe. I want to remove the named pipe after my work is completed. How can i do that. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chintapalli001
8 Replies

7. Programming

stdout/stdin + flushing buffers

Hi all I've run into a snag in a program of mine where part of what I entered in at the start of run-time, instead of the current value within printf() is being printed out. After failing with fflush() and setbuf(), I tried the following approach void BufferFlusher() { int in=0;... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipes

hi, i am working on a script for oracle export, m using a parameter file... i want to compress the dump file that is generated.. in my script following is the code i have written. i am not able to generata .gz file mknod /tmp/exp_tesd1_pipe p gzip -cNf... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't close stdin/stdout in shell

#!/bin/sh exec 0</dev/null exec 1>/dev/null ls -l /proc/self/fd >&2 produces total 0 lr-x------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 0 -> /proc/7886/fd lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 1 -> /dev/pts/4 lrwx------ 1 tyler users 64 Feb 18 10:38 2 -> /dev/pts/4 I've verified the shell is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

STDIN and STDOUT

Hallo, i have a script like: if ;then echo "OK" else echo "ERROR $2 is missing" fi; if ;then touch $2 fi; if ;then cat $1 | grep xy > $2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eightball
1 Replies
SPD-CONF(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SPD-CONF(1)

NAME
spd-conf - A simple tool for basic configuration of Speech Dispatcher and problem diagnostics SYNOPSIS
spd-conf [options] DESCRIPTION
spd-conf is a simple tool for basic configuration of Speech Dispatcher and problem diagnostics OPTIONS
-h, --help show this help message and exit -e, --espeak Use espeak to synthesize messages --test-festival Test whether Festival works as a server -s, --test-spd-say Test connection to Speech Dispatcher using spd-say --test-pulse Test Pulse Audio -c, --config-basic-settings-user Configure basic settings in user configuration -u, --create-user-conf Create Speech Dispatcher configuration for the given user -C, --config-basic-settings-system Configure basic settings in system-wide configuration -n, --dont-ask Do not ask any questions, always use default values --test-alsa Test ALSA audio --test-espeak Test whether Espeak works as a standalone binary -d, --diagnostics Diagnose problems with the current setup -D, --debug Debug a problem and generate a report AUTHOR
spd-conf was written by Hynek Hanke <hanke@brailcom.org>. The webpage for this package can be found at http://www.freebsoft.org/speechd. This manual page was written by Luke Yelavich <themuso@ubuntu.com>, for the Ubuntu project (but may be used by others). August 24, 2009 SPD-CONF(1)