Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting lines and saving - awk Post 302239118 by madhaviece on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 02:17:18 AM
Old 09-23-2008
How to use String in AWK across the functions

Hi ,

I m facing one problem with String usage in AWK . let me put what i need .

i have a function and there i used one string ( meta_string)

function 1 {
meta_string = " this string got some value of 500 characters";
......... }

Now i want to use meta_string value in another function say function 2.

function 2 {

print(meta_string);
.............. };

Now problem is in using meta_string in fucntion 2 when i try printing meta_string its printing empty string .

could you please carify how to use meta_string in function 2 or any is there any other way to handle this sproblem.

Note: As i m using AWK first time :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : extracting unique lines based on columns

Hi, snp.txt CHR_A SNP_A BP_A_st BP_A_End CHR_B BP_B SNP_B R2 p-SNP_A p-SNP_B 5 rs1988728 74904317 74904318 5 74960646 rs1427924 0.377333 0.000740085 0.013930081 5 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines by using awk

Hello, I have a file including some lines as follows person (1): a d t person (2): f h j person (3): z x v . . . (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving ranges using awk

Hi All, Is there a way to save a range in variable for later printing? for example write somthing like this: awk ' /pattern1/,/pattern2/{f=range} /pattern3/{print f} ' I don't know excatly what "range" could be but is there a way to do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghoda2_10
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving an AWK match

Is it possible to save the result of an AWK match to use later in a BASH script. Thanks, Jordon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhirshon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK- extracting values from columns, saving them and gettins statistics

Hello, I am obviously quite new to unix and awk. I need to parse certain columns of a file (delimited by spaces), and somehow save the value of this column somewhere, together with the value of the column just after it (by pairs; so something like ). I'm then supposed to count the times that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acsg
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script - extracting min and max values from selected lines

Hi guys! I'm new to scripting and I need to write a script in awk. Here is example of file on which I'm working ATOM 4688 HG1 PRO A 322 18.080 59.680 137.020 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4689 HG2 PRO A 322 18.850 61.220 137.010 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4690 CD ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: grincz
18 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with deleting lines and saving them

I have a directory question where I ask the user which entry he wants to delete... echo "Which entry?" read entry sed '/^'$entry'/d' file This code does in fact delete that particular entry... HOWEVER, when I go to inquire about that same entry, it still populates like it was never... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit after extracting range if lines - awk

Hello, I was wondering how is it possible if I use this command: awk 'NR >= 998 && NR <= 1000' file.txtTo exit after parsing the 1000th line ( last line targeted) ??? I observed that when executing this command for a large file, if the range of lines is at the beginning of the file it is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines from a file with sed and awk

My source file is structured with two words on each line word1 word2 word1 word2 I am using sed and awk to grab groups of specific lines line=`awk 'NR>=4 && NR<=7' file1`; echo $line line=` sed -n '1,5'p file1`; echo $line The resulting output is word1 word2 word1 word2 word1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Saving first n lines of history

Say you want to clear your .bash_history except for the first 25 lines. Try: sed -i -e 26,500d .bash_historyI have a some frequently-used routines parked in the first few lines, and they kept getting overwritten by more recent commands. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)