Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: limit non login id for ftp
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat limit non login id for ftp Post 302239008 by itik on Monday 22nd of September 2008 04:47:23 PM
Old 09-22-2008
limit non login id for ftp

Hi All,

How can I limit a userid (/bin/false) to have access only to ftp service? On redhat ent 4.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit login time...

How do I limit the amount of idle time an account gets on solaris? Thanks. VJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp Limit issue

I regularly have to upload files from my Unix server to a windows box. However I'm running into and issue ftp seems to have a limit to the amount of file that it can upload in 1 shot. What I mean is, say I have 10000 files that start with E If I try to upload all files via mput E* is get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Login Limit

Gud day :) We have a limited user login so we want to restrict 1 login per user. We have added below script in each user's profile but it is not working :confused: , I displayed the output for COUNT (by inserting echo command) but the value is always 1. Hope you could help me. Thanks ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancemendioro
3 Replies

4. AIX

failed login time limit

Hello, we had a situation where an account was locked out due to too many failed login attempts. From the logs (failedlogin, etc) it appears that AIX 'remembered' the failed login attempts from the past month or so. does anyone know where this is set, or how long it will remember the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuessh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error, Login Limit Exceeded by 1 user

Would appreciate some help, system was displaying an error regarding the kernal when a "sar" was run, after a reboot we get "WARNING user login limit exceeded by 1 user". We have plenty of licences. any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nchrocc
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FTP login problem

I've just configured a server to my network (setting the ip, netmask, host file, etc...) and the server doesn't have any problem pinging another computer on the network. however when i try to connect to the server via ftp the root account can't log in, i made another account (a standard one that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasalagua
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit a user's login prompt upon logon

Hey Am new to scripting in aix 5.3 I need to write a script to limit a user's logon prompt to an interactive menu based upon logon and nothing else. Any ideas much appreciated. :wall: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mills
4 Replies

8. Solaris

FTP log only shows FTP LOGIN FROM entry?

OS: Solaris 9 Configuration /etc/syslog.conf daemon.debug /etc/inetd.conf ftp stream tcp6 nowait root /usr/sbin/in.ftpd in.ftpd -A -l -d Found the ftp.log only generate those entries from other servers/hosts. Can we trace on all ftp entries either from/to the server? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
6 Replies

9. Solaris

How to Limit ftp access parameters for specific users?

Dear friends, :) I create new user useradd -g other -d /export/home/sltftp -m -s /bin/bash -c "SLT user account for TMA ftp backup" sltftp now i need do restrict thees chmod delete overwrite rename from this user:(for all the files in the server ,sltftp user can only able to download... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darakas
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory

Hi, I have searched "Limit FTP user's access to a specific directory" subject for 3 days. I found proftp and vsftp but i couldn't compile and install. Is there any idea. Please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamurd
6 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)