Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: meaning of ${0%${0##*/}}
Operating Systems AIX meaning of ${0%${0##*/}} Post 302238841 by bakunin on Monday 22nd of September 2008 06:51:17 AM
Old 09-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyelavarthy
. ${0%${0##*/}}Script2 or . ./Script2

Both do the same job. then why use this ". ${0%${0##*/}}Script2" instead of simply using ". ./Script2"?
In this case they expand to the same value, but that has not always to be the case. Suppose the following: you call your script not from the directory where it is stored but from somewhere else:

Code:
$ cd /some/dir
$ /some/other/dir/script
$ _

inside your script the "./" will expand to the PWD, which is not where the script is stored but where you have been when starting the script - "/some/dir" in the example, not "/some/other/dir". If you now execute

Code:
. ./script2

you will execute "/some/dir/script2" instead of "/some/other/dir/script2". Still $0 will contain "/some/other/dir/script" and subsequently the expansion will find script2 on its correct place.

As a rule of thumb: avoid relative paths like the plague in scripts. Always use absolute paths to make sure you end up where you suppose to end up.

I hope this helps

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the meaning here?

#!/bin/sh $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -S $orauserid/$orapasswd@$oradb << _TMP alter session set nls_date_format = 'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI'; set linesize 100 set pagesize 400 ok the above is part of a script..i just wanna know what does sqlplus -S means?? as in why we need to insert the -S behind? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use and meaning of $*

Can someone explain the use and meaning of "$*" expression. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
2 Replies

3. Linux

What are the meaning of these macros..

Masters, I am trying to learn the serial mouse driver for linux kernel. On the kernel source tree I find out these macros and I am unable to find out the meaning of these macros. Please anyone help me to understand these. These macros are defined in linux/serio.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what the meaning of #*

can some one please tell the meaning of the second statement i.e n=${m#*=} i couldnt get the meaning of the #*= 1.) m="mohit=/c/main/issue" echo $m result ----------- mohit=/c/main/issue 2.) n=${m#*=} echo $n RESULT ------- /c/main/issue (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of $_

Hi, Can somebody tell the usage of "$_" cd $_ ? and ls $_ ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

^$$ meaning

Hi , Can anyone please let me know whta the follwoing piece of code for ScriptName=${0##*/} if pgrep -f "$ScriptName" | grep -v "^$$\$" ; then echo `date`": Sctipt $ScritName is already runnig" exit fi Thnx a lot in advance Please use code tags when posting data and code... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), concat(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)