Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux userid access to a single path Post 302238365 by itik on Friday 19th of September 2008 05:21:35 PM
Old 09-19-2008
userid access to a single path

Hi All,

Can a user-a on linux be able to access to particular path only? I think is not possible because if the /etc have r on the other then user-a can access it. Right?

Thanks for any comment you have will add.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restrict FTP access to a single directory for only one user.

Hi All, It will be very great if you can help me in this issue. Thanks in advance. I need to enable FTP on a solaris9 server. I need to create a new user some "xxxxxx" and he can only FTP the files to and from between /tftpboot directory and network devices. Other users should not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to give FTP access to a single user

Hi all, How can i give ftp access to single user on solaris9 system? others should not have the ftp access. i know about ftpusers file in /etc/ftpd but still what about if so many new users are created daily? And now for that single user how can we restict him to ftp the files only from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santhoshkumar_d
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

userid access only to a particular service

Hi All, How do I make a userid access only a particular service like sftp? My linux is redhat ent 4. Thanks in advance for any advise. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access the elements of two arrays with a single loop using the inbuilt index.

Hi all, I wanted to access two arrays (of same size) using one for loop. Ex: #!/bin/bash declare -a num declare -a words num=(1 2 3 4 5 6 7) words=(one two three four five six seven) for num in ${num} do echo ":$num: :${words}:" done Required Output: :1: :one: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14341
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a shell script to display files in single path?

Hello friends, I am a script which dispalys a multiple files with their contents. for exm: suppose two file test1.txt and test2.txt. when I run my script it have to display the below O/P. test1.txt -rw-r----- 1 sranga staff 91 Sep 23 02:18 calc.sh -rw-r----- 1 sranga ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivaranga001
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

new userid with limited access

Hi, I want to create a user using useradd -m test. But my requirement is he should not change his directory from Home directory. How can I restric the user not to change his directory from his home dir? Thanks, Suresh Double Post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Sendmail changes userid in Return-Path

Hi, sendmail on our hp-ux box is changing the userid of the from address. I have searched the web and read the man pages but can't stop this from happening. We have a process which creates a text file we pass into sendmail. In the text file we write for example: Return-Path:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmitherscorp
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to access file path from another server?

Hi there, Say I have Server A and B, how do I configure A with path aaa/bbb/ccc to be able to access by Server B with aaa/bbb/ccc/<content> (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Access to one path!

Hi All, I have question and I need someone to help me in this regard:) I have Solaris 11 I have created user called : appuser appuser member to staff group actually I have this system \app\sys\system\bin\logs I want appuser to have access only to this path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsnaa
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing single path NIC to a teamed connection in same subnet

Dear all, I have a remote CentOS7 server that has two network cards. Each card has four ports and port one of card one was defined with the IP address assigned to the server. So far, so good and it's been working for over a year. We have now got cables sorted out so there are four paths... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies
access(2)							System Calls Manual							 access(2)

NAME
access - Determines the accessibility of a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int access ( const char *path, int access_mode) ; STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: access(): XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the file pathname. When the path parameter refers to a symbolic link, the access() function returns information about the file pointed to by the symbolic link. Permission to access all components of the path parameter is determined by using a real user ID instead of an effective user ID, and a group access list (including a real group ID) instead of an effective group ID. Specifies the type of access. The bit pattern contained in the access_mode parameter is constructed by a logical OR of the following values: Checks read permission. Checks write permission. Checks execute (search) permission. Checks to see if the file exists. DESCRIPTION
The access() function checks for accessibility of the file specified by a pathname. Only access bits are checked. A directory may be indicated as writable by access(), but an attempt to open it for writing will fail (although files may be created there); a file's access bits may indicate that it is executable, but the execve() function can fail if the file does not contain the proper format. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the access() function returns value of 0 (zero). Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the access() function fails, access to the file specified by the path parameter is denied and errno may be set to one of the following values: Permission bits of the file mode do not permit the requested access, or search permission is denied on a component of the path pre- fix. The owner of a file has permission checked with respect to the ``owner'' read, write, and execute mode bits, members of the file's group other than the owner have permission checked with respect to the ``group'' mode bits, and all others have permissions checked with respect to the ``other'' mode bits. The path parameter points outside the process' allocated address space. The pathname contains a char- acter with the high-order bit set. An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. A component of a pathname exceeded PATH_MAX characters, or an entire pathname exceeded NAME_MAX characters. The named file does not exist or is an empty string. A component of the path prefix is not a directory. Write access is requested for a file on a read-only file system. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: chmod(2), stat(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off access(2)