Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Filesystem filling up and no clue as to why! Post 302238334 by jim mcnamara on Friday 19th of September 2008 03:35:02 PM
Old 09-19-2008
A process can open file, then unlink it. The file "disappears" to other users. As long as the file is held open by the originating process, the data exists on disk. Even if you cannot see it. It is a nice security measure. Plus the file goes away when the process closes it or exits.

That may be your problem.
Code:
lsof | grep  'cbmdata/00'

will show open files - if you have fuser instead you can try that. If there are no identifable large files look for files that do not show up in ls.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

I have no clue what's the point - fcntl() ?

hi, I need to know how to lock a file. I used the following code, but after executing the program the file 'write.txt' remined empty, and I have no idea why.Maybe I'm not using the corresponding syntax for blocking a file. But I deleted then the blocking part and the problem persisted. see to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atticus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diff command filling /var filesystem space

Hi, I am using diff command to check difference between two files.Both files are very big and when i execute this command /var temp space is filled up almost 99%. Can any one please tell me is there any way i can specify directory name which has more space so that diff can use that dir for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukatru
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a clue to write a IF statement

Hi all, i am writing a shell script in which i got stuck when tried to use a if statement. This is my code : #!/bin/sh today=`date +"%a %b %e"` find /prod/logs -name '*.log' -mtime 0 -exec cp {} /home/hzjnr0/test \; find /home/hzjnr0/test -type f -exec grep -i "successfully" {} \; >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soma Das
6 Replies
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin - Return Darwin (Mac OS X) filesystem information to Sys::Filesystem SYNOPSIS
See Sys::Filesystem. DESCRIPTION
The filesystem information is taken from diskutil, the system utility supplied on Mac OS X. INHERITANCE
Sys::Filesystem::Darwin ISA Sys::Filesystem::Unix ISA UNIVERSAL METHODS
version () Return the version of the (sub)module. ATTRIBUTES
The following is a list of filesystem properties which may be queried as methods through the parent Sys::Filesystem object. The property 'label' is also set, but cannot be queried by Sys::Filesystem yet. mount_point The mount point (usually either '/' or '/Volumes/...'). device The mounted device format Describes the type of the filesystem. So far I encountered the following types: hfs The standard Mac OS X HFS(+) filesystem. Disk images (.dmg) and Mac Software DVDs normally also use the HFS(+) format. msdos DOS image files (e.g. floppy disk images) cd9660 CD-ROM image files or real CD-ROMs cddafs Audio CDs udf UDF filesystem (e.g. DVDs) (empty) For mounted FTP servers, disktool returns an empty filesystem type (ie, ''). BUGS
Doesn't take /etc/fstab or /etc/xtab into account right now, since they are normally not used. Contact the author if you need this. SEE ALSO
Sys::Filesystem, diskutil VERSION
$Id: Darwin.pm 128 2010-05-12 13:16:44Z trevor $ AUTHOR
Christian Renz <crenz@web42.com> Jens Rehsack <rehsack@cpan.org> - <http://www.rehsack.de/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004,2005,2006 Nicola Worthington. Copyright 2009,2010 Jens Rehsack. This software is licensed under The Apache Software License, Version 2.0. <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0> perl v5.10.1 2010-05-18 Sys::Filesystem::Darwin(3pm)