Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing string using specific delimiter Post 302238103 by manosubsulo on Friday 19th of September 2008 03:31:03 AM
Old 09-19-2008
You can use cut / awk for this..

a='variable="data value"'

echo $a | cut -d'=' -f2 | sed 's/\"//g'

echo $a | awk -F= '{print $2}' | sed 's/\"//g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to differentiate columns of a file in perl with no specific delimiter

Hi everybody, This time I am having one issue in perl. I have to create comma separated file using the following type of information. The problem is the columns do not have any specific delimiter. So while using split I am getting different value. Some where it is space(S) and some where it is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amiya Rath
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing using a Delimiter

Hi, i have a string in format of text1.text2.text3 . how do i parse it using . as delimiter . i understand this can be done by tr .However i am trying to assign these to different variables such as a=text1 b=text2 c=text3 etc? how can i do it (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paritoshc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove delimiter from specific column?

I have 5 column in sample txt file where in i have to create report based upon 1,3 and 5 th column.. I have : in first and third coulmn. But I want to retain the colon of fifth coulmn and remove the colon of first column.. 5th column contains String message (for example,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing filename and grabbing specific string patterns

Hi guys...Wow I just composed a huge post and it got erased as I was logged out automatically Anyways I hope someone can help me out here. So the task I'm working on is like this I have a bunch of files that I care about sitting in a directory say $HOME/files Now my job is to go and loop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukasetsuna
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Html parsing - get line after specific string till a point

Hi all :) It sounds complex, for example I want to find the whole html file (there are 5 entries of this string and I need to get all of them) for the string "<td class="contentheading" width="100%">", get the next line from it only till the point that says "</td>", plus removing \t (tabs) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding String at specific postition of a delimiter

I have a file containing data lines: 1|14|CONSTANT||11111111||00887722||30/04/2012|E|O|X||||20120528093654-30.04.2012|STA11ACT|ddts555S||||00001|rrttbbggcc| 1|15|CONSTANT||22222222||00887722||30/04/2012|E|O|X||||20120528093654-30.04.2012|rrtha772|llkis000||||00001|AAEtbbggcc| I want to add a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific string parsing in Linux/UNIX

Hi, I have a string which can be completely unstructred. I am looking to parse out values within that String. Here is an example <Random Strings> String1=<some number a> String2=<some number b> String3=<some number c> Satish=<some number d> String4=<some number e> I only want to parse out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satishrao
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inserting delimiter after a specific number of chars

Hello guys, I have a problem where I need to add a delimiter, that can be | for example, after each 28000 chars. The problem is that sometimes 1 row, which should contain 28000 chars is split in 2, so I want to put the delimiter after each 28000 so I will know the end of each row. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diogo R Jesus
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column delimiter

Hi All, I have a file with a pipe delimiter. I need to replace the delimiter with html tags. I managed to get all the delimiters replaced along with first and last but the requirement is that I need to change 7th delimiter with slight change. File1: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
2 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)