Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Temporary files and rm
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Temporary files and rm Post 302237733 by gurukottur on Thursday 18th of September 2008 08:48:42 AM
Old 09-18-2008
u can always use mktemp to create temp files

and to delete the file at the end

just do

trap '/bin/rm -f $file' 0 1 3

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Avoid creating temporary files on editing a file in Ubuntu

Hi, My ubuntu flavor always create temporary files having filename followed by ~ on editing. For eg: if I am editing a file called "sip.c", automatically a temporary (bkup) file is getting created with the name "sip.c~". How to avoid this file creation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing files without temporary files

Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone would give me a hand with an issue I'm having, let me explain the situation: I have a file that is constantly being written to and read from with updated lines: # cat activity.file activity1 activity2 activity3 activity4 activity5 This file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync temporary files

Hi, I am looking to use rsync in a very specific way, and even though I have trawled the rsync man pages I have not succeeded in seeing a way of doing the following: The temporary files created by rsync should not be created in the destination directory. (I have used --temp-dir option to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which time should be used for deleting temporary files?

I want to create a folder for users to put their temporary files and a folder for users to put their permanent files. For the temporary folder, I need to implement a deletion policy. I would like to know normally which time, ctime, mtime or atime, should be used to implement such deletion policy. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marctc
1 Replies

6. AIX

Hidden temporary files in AIX

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with exit, grep, temporary files, awk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I do not understand how/why the following code is used. Please do not simply refer me to the man pages since I have already reviewed them extensively. Thank you. exit 2 , exit 3, exit 0 I understand the basics of why the exit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartleDoo
5 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)