Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming int *ptr + max possible value Post 302237574 by JamesGoh on Thursday 18th of September 2008 12:13:12 AM
Old 09-18-2008
int *ptr + max possible value

From reading my C book, Im aware that the integers have a maximum value which depends on what type of processor you are using (since they use 16-bit or 32-bit instructions).

Now I know pointers are very flexible, since they can reference anything, but in the case of integer pointers, can they reference an int value beyond the max. value of 4,294,967,295 (Im considering unsigned int * in a 32-bit environment) ?

Reason Im asking is because Im designing a program which reports on my company's disk usage (where some of our files are in the gigabyte and terabyte range)

many thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reg: char ptr - Coredumps

#include <stdio.h> void main() { int Index=1; char *Type=NULL; Type = (char *)Index; printf("%s",Type); } Getting coredump (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysabari
5 Replies

2. Programming

difference between int ** func() and int *& func()

What is the difference between int** func() and int*& func(). Can you please explain it with suitable example. Thanks, Devesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devesh
1 Replies

3. Programming

file ptr.

Is there any way to know the filename from an available file pointer. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
2 Replies

4. AIX

Configuring Color Laser ptr in AIX

Hi All, I have Network color laser printer which is to be configured in AIX5L. The Model of the printer is OKI C3200. Will it is supported with AIX 5..? I could not find any drivers for this. Will any compatible drivers are available for this printer... I tried with the default drivers hplj-4... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: helloajith
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

6. Programming

Handle int listen(int sockfd, int backlog) in TCP

Hi, from the manual listen(2): listen for connections on socket - Linux man page It has a parameter called backlog and it limits the maximum length of queue of pending list. If I set backlog to 128, is it means no more than 128 packets can be handled by server? If I have three... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
3 Replies

7. Programming

'int air_date' '%'?

int air_date='20100103'; //2010 - Jan - 03 /* My goal here is to subtract a day. */ int day = air_date % 100; //?????? Is this right? //Are there any functions time/date for this type of date format? :cool: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
7 Replies

8. Solaris

how to get rid off the warning: CC: Warning: Option -ptr not supported?

Hi I am getting the below error /bin/mkdir -p ./obj/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 /bin/mkdir -p ./bin/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 CC -c -ptr./obj/SunOS10_32/SingleThread/Debug/CC_5_3 -V -I/opt/tuxedo/tuxedo11gR1/include -I. -I../../OBED_SA_1-27a/include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deboprio
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Cannot resolve PTR record issue

Hi guys, I am currently receiving the following output in /var/log/syslog and is occurring every second leading to /var directory being full after every 2 days. Aug 20 17:32:29 opaldn1 sendmail: r7KCOlQm002517: ruleset=check_rcpt, arg1=<postmaster@silverapp6>, relay=, reject=450 4.4.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
ATOMIC_DEC(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     ATOMIC_DEC(3)

NAME
atomic_dec, atomic_dec_32, atomic_dec_uint, atomic_dec_ulong, atomic_dec_ptr, atomic_dec_64, atomic_dec_32_nv, atomic_dec_uint_nv, atomic_dec_ulong_nv, atomic_dec_ptr_nv, atomic_dec_64_nv -- atomic decrement operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/atomic.h> void atomic_dec_32(volatile uint32_t *ptr); void atomic_dec_uint(volatile unsigned int *ptr); void atomic_dec_ulong(volatile unsigned long *ptr); void atomic_dec_ptr(volatile void *ptr); void atomic_dec_64(volatile uint64_t *ptr); uint32_t atomic_dec_32_nv(volatile uint32_t *ptr); unsigned int atomic_dec_uint_nv(volatile unsigned int *ptr); unsigned long atomic_dec_ulong_nv(volatile unsigned long *ptr); void * atomic_dec_ptr_nv(volatile void *ptr); uint64_t atomic_dec_64_nv(volatile uint64_t *ptr); DESCRIPTION
The atomic_dec family of functions decrement (by one) the variable referenced by ptr in an atomic fashion. The *_nv() variants of these functions return the new value. The 64-bit variants of these functions are available only on platforms that can support atomic 64-bit memory access. Applications can check for the availability of 64-bit atomic memory operations by testing if the pre-processor macro __HAVE_ATOMIC64_OPS is defined. SEE ALSO
atomic_ops(3) HISTORY
The atomic_dec functions first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
April 11, 2007 BSD