Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a script to tar all file systems on the machine into one filesystem. Post 302237360 by urrahman_zia on Wednesday 17th of September 2008 01:30:31 PM
Old 09-17-2008
Need a script to tar all file systems on the machine into one filesystem.

Hi
I am very poor at scripting.Smilie

I need to develop a script that should tar up all the filesystems on the machine on to a single filesystem called /tarfilesystem.

Any suggestions ...
Thank You very much

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation and Transfer of TAR file from one machine to another Using UNIX script

Hi, I want to create unix script such that it should run on machine A, it should run TAR commands on machine B and copy that TAR to machine C. Is it possible? Thanks Rahul (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahuljadhav
2 Replies

2. Solaris

/var filesystem recovery from other machine

Hi Folks, I'm wordering if I can ufsdump the /var fs from a server1 and create a new /var fs in Server2, that is because some damage happened in the /var fs and we don't have backup of it, I've tried fsck and no sucess at all.. Any ideia how I can recovery that /var fs ? Thanks, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramosbrazil
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clone systems with tar command

I have several machines which I want to be exactly identical. It is the first time I am trying to clone machines and I searched on the internet and found many people archive and extract their disks using some tools, using dd, and I also found someone using tar. I read about different tools. I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: benja
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar to remote machine

Is there a way to use Tar (not GNU) to automaticallly create a tar file on a remote machine. the source files will be local, but I would like tthe tar file to be remote. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

To find the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine and SCP to local machine?

Hi All, URGENT - Please help me form a scipt for this: I need the LATEST file from a dir on REMOTE machine to be SCP'd to a dir on local machine. (and I need to execute this from local server) I know that the below cmd is used to find the LATEST file from a dir. But this command is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_ub
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP

I need a shell script to copy files frm a linux machine to a windows machine using SCP. The files keeps changing day-to-day. I have to copy the latest file to the windows machine frm the linux machine. for example :In Linux, On July 20, the file name will be 20.txt and it should be copied to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin6034
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to transfer files from unix machine to local machine using shell script?

Hi All.. Am new to Unix!! Am creating a shell script in which a scenario is like i have transfer the output file from unix machine (Server) to local directory (Windows xp). And also i have to transfer the input file from the local directory to Unix machine (Server) Any help from you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if file systems are mounted

Hi I have the following piece of code, running on a solaris 10 O.S., that is not working for NFS file systems: for vol in `grep -E 'vxfs|ufs|nfs' /etc/vfstab | egrep -v '^#' | awk '{ print $3 }'` do if df -k $vol | grep $vol > /dev/null then outputOK "Filesystem: $vol mounted" else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies
filesystem(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					     filesystem(7)

NAME
filesystem - event signalling that filesystems have been mounted SYNOPSIS
filesystem [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The filesystem event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon after it has mounted all filesystems listed in fstab(5). mountall(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running once filesystems are mounted might use: start on filesystem SEE ALSO
mounting(7) mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) mountall 2009-12-21 filesystem(7)