Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help in disk space commands Post 302237102 by ali560045 on Wednesday 17th of September 2008 01:57:34 AM
Old 09-17-2008
need help in disk space commands

hy i have written a K-shell script that will calculate the number of Disk space used by all the directories under the HOMe dir

#!/bin/ksh

cd /ednpdtu3/u01/pipe

count=`ls -ltr | grep ^d | wc -l`
echo "$count Dir found in HOME DIR"

a1=1
while [ $a1 -le $count ]
do
b=`ls -ltr | grep ^d | head -$a1 | tail -1 | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f9`
#echo $b
a1=`expr $a1 + 1`
a2=`du -m $b`
echo "The size of $b is $a2"

done
----------------------------------------------------------------------

My home Dir contains 21 Dir. how u get those directories space utilised in MB.

here in my script du -m is not giving proper results

I have a dir called AMIS_Scripts whose total size in MB is 4497.44

but my script is giving results as

The size of AMIS_Scripts is
27.46 AMIS_Scripts/Oncor_exc_miss_rep
4469.52 AMIS_Scripts/temp
4497.44 AMIS_Scripts MB

I dnt want the result of Sub-dir inside AMIS_Scripts to show up, just want the total disk space used in MB by AMIS_SCRIPTS dir to show up in my output

Plz help me in this

Last edited by ali560045; 09-17-2008 at 03:08 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hi experts i am new in unix and informix and would like to ask 2 questions 1) my server shows when using df -k fs 1024-block used available /usr 10079072 3668670 6381144 does this mean i have 10GB, and used up 3.7GB and available 6.3GB ??? is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hello All- Am new member to this forum. Have some unix experience. But true believer in it compared to windows. Have a question regarding the disk space. I know a command to check the total disk space utilization using: df -k . but what is the command to check the same disk space by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milkyway
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space

Hi This is my script for disk space monitoring clear if then echo "You must be root user to execute the script" fi ALERT_LEVEL=10 CONSUMPTION_LEVEL= `df -k | awk {'print $5'} | cut -d '%' -f1 | sed "1 d"` for i in $CONSUMPTION_LEVEL do FILE_SYSTEM=`df -k | awk {'print $1'} |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

disk space

when i check /export directory of my machine gets filled up (85%) i removed some old logs. but after cleaning df -k command still shows that /export is still 85% full. Is there a way to force df to reflect actual free space without rebooting? My machine is a production one and can't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Space

Hi Guys i have a nice little piece of code then i need to modify so that is does not look at /Voulmes/* thanks sub disk_full { my $i = 0; open( DF, "df -l|" ); while (<DF>) { #chomp(); next if (/^\/proc\b/); $i++; next if ( $i == 1 ); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk space

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, and want to monitor disk space using shell script continously on server, which will shoot mail after crossing threshold limit Please suggest. Regards Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Disk Space

I know there are other threads but they have not helped. My server is running low on disk space and I haven't been able to re-allocate. I think my solaris machine is missing tools or the way it was originally setup, may not have the right pathing. $ df -k Filesystem kbytes used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnxjenn
5 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)