Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help in remove group of files Post 302236711 by era on Tuesday 16th of September 2008 07:16:27 AM
Old 09-16-2008
Try gzcat instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to remove user from a group using command line

Hi, Wanted to remove a user from a group , but no GUI , must use command line (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
2 Replies

2. AIX

Remove volume group it's lvs and filesystems after vg's pv was deleted ?

Hi, Physical volume of vg was removed permanently by acident. What I need right now is to remove all vg's objects(vg itself, vg's lvs, vg's filesystems) to prepare to add new pv and create new volume group and it's objects. This is from reducevg manual: "Sometimes a disk is removed from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unmount and remove all Logical vol.Volume group and physical disk

Hi, Someone please help me with how i can unmount and remove all the files systems from a cluster. This is being shared by two servers that are active_standby. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeli
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove group write bit?

I know this may sound little incomplete but this is what i read on some linux hardening guide.I dont have any clue on how to remove group's write bit. I m posting the exact sentence of the hardening guide. What all system files to be taken care of? ---------- Post updated 10-04-10 at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to remove Group write permission .

How would i write a command that can find all the objects under the etc directory that have group write permission enabled and have not been accessed in the last X days. This is what i got from internet souce but i m not able to modify it according to my distribution. find /etc -perm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or tr to remove specific group of special characters

Hi, I have a input of the form: ..., word1, word2, word3... I want out put of the form word1, word2, word3 I tried echo '..., word1, word2, word3...' | tr -d '...,' but that takes out the commas in the middle too so I get word1 word2 word3 but I want the commas in the middle. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumbaba
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate based on Group

Hi, How can I remove duplicates from a file based on group on other column? for example: Test1|Test2|Test3|Test4|Test5 Test1|Test6|Test7|Test8|Test5 Test1|Test9|Test10|Test11|Test12 Test1|Test13|Test14|Test15|Test16 Test17|Test18|Test19|Test20|Test21 Test17|Test22|Test23|Test24|Test5 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a secondary group from user (Linux)

Oracle Linux 6.6 grid user's secondary groups are asmadmin,asmdba,asmoper and dba # id -a grid uid=638(grid) gid=2000(oinstall) groups=2000(oinstall),2100(asmadmin),2200(dba),2300(asmdba),2301(asmoper) I want to remove dba as the secondary group for grid and keep the remaining ones. ie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Stub Values In One Group Of Files With Actual Values From Another Group Of Files

I have two directories of files (new-config-files and old-config-files): new-config-files/this-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/that-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/old-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/new-db/config.inc.php new-config-files/random-database/config.inc.php etc. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
4 Replies
GZIP(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   GZIP(1)

NAME
gzip -- compression/decompression tool using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77) SYNOPSIS
gzip [-cdfhkLlNnqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] gunzip [-cfhkLNqrtVv] [-S suffix] file [file [...]] zcat [-fhV] file [file [...]] DESCRIPTION
The gzip program compresses and decompresses files using Lempel-Ziv coding (LZ77). If no files are specified, gzip will compress from stan- dard input, or decompress to standard output. When in compression mode, each file will be replaced with another file with the suffix, set by the -S suffix option, added, if possible. In decompression mode, each file will be checked for existence, as will the file with the suffix added. Each file argument must contain a separate complete archive; when multiple files are indicated, each is decompressed in turn. In the case of gzcat the resulting data is then concatenated in the manner of cat(1). If invoked as gunzip then the -d option is enabled. If invoked as zcat or gzcat then both the -c and -d options are enabled. This version of gzip is also capable of decompressing files compressed using compress(1), bzip2(1), or xz(1). OPTIONS
The following options are available: -1, --fast -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7, -8 -9, --best These options change the compression level used, with the -1 option being the fastest, with less compression, and the -9 option being the slowest, with optimal compression. The default compression level is 6. -c, --stdout, --to-stdout This option specifies that output will go to the standard output stream, leaving files intact. -d, --decompress, --uncompress This option selects decompression rather than compression. -f, --force This option turns on force mode. This allows files with multiple links, symbolic links to regular files, overwriting of pre-existing files, reading from or writing to a terminal, and when combined with the -c option, allowing non-compressed data to pass through unchanged. -h, --help This option prints a usage summary and exits. -k, --keep Keep (do not delete) input files during compression or decompression. -L, --license This option prints gzip license. -l, --list This option displays information about the file's compressed and uncompressed size, ratio, uncompressed name. With the -v option, it also displays the compression method, CRC, date and time embedded in the file. -N, --name This option causes the stored filename in the input file to be used as the output file. -n, --no-name This option stops the filename and timestamp from being stored in the output file. -q, --quiet With this option, no warnings or errors are printed. -r, --recursive This option is used to gzip the files in a directory tree individually, using the fts(3) library. -S suffix, --suffix suffix This option changes the default suffix from .gz to suffix. -t, --test This option will test compressed files for integrity. -V, --version This option prints the version of the gzip program. -v, --verbose This option turns on verbose mode, which prints the compression ratio for each file compressed. ENVIRONMENT
If the environment variable GZIP is set, it is parsed as a white-space separated list of options handled before any options on the command line. Options on the command line will override anything in GZIP. EXIT STATUS
The gzip utility exits0 on success, 1 on errors, and 2 if a warning occurs. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), compress(1), xz(1), fts(3), zlib(3) HISTORY
The gzip program was originally written by Jean-loup Gailly, licensed under the GNU Public Licence. Matthew R. Green wrote a simple front end for NetBSD 1.3 distribution media, based on the freely re-distributable zlib library. It was enhanced to be mostly feature-compatible with the original GNU gzip program for NetBSD 2.0. This implementation of gzip was ported based on the NetBSD gzip, and first appeared in FreeBSD 7.0. AUTHORS
This implementation of gzip was written by Matthew R. Green <mrg@eterna.com.au> with unpack support written by Xin LI <delphij@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
According to RFC 1952, the recorded file size is stored in a 32-bit integer, therefore, it cannot represent files larger than 4GB. This lim- itation also applies to -l option of gzip utility. BSD
October 26, 2015 BSD