Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Need help in character pointer Post 302235725 by jim mcnamara on Friday 12th of September 2008 02:26:55 PM
Old 09-12-2008
spirtle -
Code:
char x[10]={0x0};

According to C99 standard all of the 10 elements of x are set to zero. Unless you are using ancient Solaris compilers or something.... try it with this junk code in debug mode:
edit: see para 21 in section 6.7.8 of C99 standards.
Code:
void foo(void)
{
    int b[3]={0};
    char c[4]={0x0};
	/* this point */
}

int main()
{ 
    foo(); 
    return 0;
}

break on the line # for /* this point */

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 09-12-2008 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: couldn't find reference got it now

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pointer

void main() { int a={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}; int *p=a; int *q=&a; cout<<q-p+1<<endl; } The output is 10, how? if we give cout<<q it will print the address, value won't print.... if we give cout<<p it will print the address, value won't print.... p has the base addr; q... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

2. Programming

why we never delete a pointer twice

can u tell me the reson that why we should not delete a pointer twice.? if we delete ponter twice then what happen and why this happen Regards, Amit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

3. Programming

far pointer

what is far pointer in C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

4. Programming

pass a pointer-to-pointer, or return a pointer?

If one wants to get a start address of a array or a string or a block of memory via a function, there are at least two methods to achieve it: (1) one is to pass a pointer-to-pointer parameter, like: int my_malloc(int size, char **pmem) { *pmem=(char *)malloc(size); if(*pmem==NULL)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaronwong
11 Replies

5. Programming

matrix pointer

Can anyone tell me what the following statements do? float (*tab); tab=(float (*)) calloc(MAXCLASS, (MAXCLASS+1)*sizeof(float)); (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
3 Replies

6. Programming

C dynamic pointer

Hi, Can anyone tell me how i can declare and allocate dynamically an array of pointers to structured type?? Is declaration something like this:? struct_name ** array; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: littleboyblu
1 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer to pointers

Hi guys, I'm trying to understand pointers in C and made a simple example and I've problems with It. Can someone help? #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <assert.h> int f1(char **str_); int main(int argc, char **argv) { char *str = NULL; f1(&str); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies

8. Programming

pointer problem

Does anyone know? int x = 1; int *p = &++x; //ok ! int *q = &x++; //gives an error :O why the first pointer is ok but the second is an error? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishrestha
13 Replies

9. Programming

Pointer confusion

Here are two programs that pass a pointer to a variable but behave differently. Shouldnt the i in second program be 0 after the function call? #include<stdio.h> void changeI(int *i) { *i = 10; } int main(void) { int i=5; printf("%d before\n", i); changeI(&i); printf("%d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
1 Replies

10. Programming

Character pointer to Character array

how to copy content of character pointer to character array in c programming.. char *num; char name=num; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zinat
1 Replies
puts(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						  puts(3C)

NAME
puts, fputs - put a string on a stream SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> int puts(const char *s); int fputs(const char *s, FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The puts() function writes the string pointed to by s, followed by a NEWLINE character, to the standard output stream stdout (see Intro(3)). The terminating null byte is not written. The fputs() function writes the null-terminated string pointed to by s to the named output stream. The terminating null byte is not writ- ten. The st_ctime and st_mtime fields of the file will be marked for update between the successful execution of fputs() and the next successful completion of a call to fflush(3C) or fclose(3C) on the same stream or a call to exit(2) or abort(3C). RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, both functions return the number of bytes written; otherwise they return EOF and set errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
Refer to fputc(3C). USAGE
Unlike puts(), the fputs() function does not write a NEWLINE character at the end of the string. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exit(2), write(2), Intro(3), abort(3C), fclose(3C), ferror(3C), fflush(3C), fopen(3C), fputc(3C), printf(3C), stdio(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 18 Jun 2003 puts(3C)