Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parse apart strings of comma separated data with varying number of fields Post 302235636 by dennis.jacob on Friday 12th of September 2008 10:11:05 AM
Old 09-12-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1djs
sed -e 's/\,/^M/g' filename >newfilename
this will not work. ^M is the DOS LF character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove whitespaces between comma separated fields from file

Hello all, I am a unix dummy. I am trying to remove spaces between fields. I have the file in the following format 12332432, 2345 , asdfsdf ,100216 , 9999999 12332431, 2341 , asdfsd2 ,100213 , 9999999 &... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinbjoshi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script to parse the contents of comma-separated file

Dear All, I have a comma-separated file. 1. The first line of the file(header) should have 4 commas(5 fields). 2. The last line of the file should have 1 comma(2 fields). Pls help me in checking this condition in a shell script. And the number of lines between the first line and last... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Varying number of awk search strings

I've created an awk script that handles a varying number of search strings handed to it as command line parameters ($1 $2 etc). There may be 1, or 2 or 3 or more. A simplified version of the script is: awk -v TYP="$1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6" ' BEGIN { CTYP = split (TYP,TYPP," ") } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarlosNC
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parse comma separated list

I have a list of files with the same name, but they have a different date stamp in the name. I can find the first file, but I need to find the second file. I am using this information to create a variable I use later. Here is a example of how I find the first file. "ls -mr... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: NoMadBanker
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to parse output and print it comma separated

I need to arrange output of SQL query into a comma separated format and I'm struggling with processing the output... The output is something like this: <Attribute1 name><x amount of white spaces><Atribute value> <Attribute2 name><x amount of white spaces><Atribute value> <Attribute3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Juha
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading comma separated data and reorder

hey guys! i need to read data from a file that are comma separated then reorder them in another file to be generated for example: x,y,z a,b,c l,m,n o,p,q and transform this into: x,a,l,o y,b,m,p z,c,n,q Will appreciate your fast reply Regards! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maiooi90
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print - fields separated with comma's need to ignore inbetween double quotes

I am trying to re-format a .csv file using awk. I have 6 fields in the .csv file. Some of the fields are enclosed in double quotes and contain comma's inside the quotes. awk is breaking this into multiple fields. Sample lines from the .csv file: Device Name,Personnel,Date,Solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jxrst
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert fixed value fields to comma separated values

Hi All, Hope you are doing Great!!!. Today i have came up with a problem to say exactly it was for performance improvement. I have written code in perl as a solution for this to cut in specific range, but it is taking time to run for files thousands of lines so i am expecting a sed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. If a field or column is specified multiple times, it will appear only once in the output. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option.) Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
December 21, 2006 BSD