Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Can't access external disk after reboot Post 302235517 by vbe on Friday 12th of September 2008 04:54:52 AM
Old 09-12-2008
>Not even after an ioscan
But what ioscan are you talking about?
ioscan is not the same as ioscan -funCdisk (the first rescan all the hardware, not the second...)

So before looking forward, as suggested, reboot with your disk subsystem up, perhaps go single user then init 2 then do an ioscan, the ioscan -funC disk and see if you see your disks now. config files wont help if you dont succeed here

Next, are you in cluster?

In cluster the vg are in exclusive mode and so are not activated automatically, If you were and no more then update /etc/lvmrc file to automatically activate those VGs

All the best

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 8 hangs and data access error on reboot

Hi using solaris 5.8 on UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz. I know it is an old hardware but similiar hardware is running fine. here is the issue, System booted : works okay for some time then display was hung so system was rebooted ..it gave data access error. again rebooted and it came up... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: upengan78
6 Replies

3. SuSE

External USB disk cannot be mounted

Hi, I am running Suse on a fujitsu server. The problem is that it will no fully load the usb external disk. When plugged in, dmesg shows that indeed a usb disk has been plugged in ,but gives no devpath e.g sda,sdb. lsusb shows the disk vendor (western digital) but nothing else.Whats goin on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Corrupted disk on reboot

Could someone please help me. Users were unable to access SCO Server. Attempted to reboot the machine and following error was reported: UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s1 is corrupted, needs checking UX: vxfs mount: ERROR: /dev/dsk/c1b0t3d0s2 is corrupted, needs checking etc. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandarin
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

internal disk and external disk question

Hello, We are running sun solaris and it is connected to SAN storage. How do I find what are the disks are internal and what are the disks are connected to SAN? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
0 Replies

6. Linux

External disk

Hi, I connected a external hard disk to my linux machine(Redhat 5) and shared the external hard disk by using NFS. The problem is hard disk becoming read-only file system after some time, could some one please tell me the reason for it. I created two partitions with ext3 filesystem in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
10 Replies

7. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says. ~ $ sudo gparted ====================== libparted : 2.2 ====================== /dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label When I... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
18 Replies

8. Red Hat

Installation RHEL in External hard disk.

Hi all. Can i install RHEl5 in a external hard disk, work on lenovo T60 laptop. Plz reply me. Tell me the process. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraju.kappal
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disk in Linux machine are internal or external

How to check whether the disk in linux machine are internal or external ( from nas or san). How to identify internal(local) and external disks. Following are some details of my server. Thanks. #df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda3 15G 3.5G 10G... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
2 Replies

10. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies
diskinfo(1M)															      diskinfo(1M)

NAME
diskinfo - describe characteristics of a disk device SYNOPSIS
character_devicefile DESCRIPTION
The command determines whether the character special file named by character_devicefile is associated with a SCSI or floppy disk drive. If so, summarizes the disk's characteristics. The command displays information about the following characteristics of disk drives: Vendor name Manufacturer of the drive (SCSI only) Product ID Product identification number or ASCII name Type Floppy or SCSI classification for the device Disk Size of disk specified in bytes Sector Specified as bytes per sector Both the size of disk and bytes per sector represent formatted media. Options The command recognizes the following options: Return the size of the disk in 1024-byte sectors. Display a verbose summary of all of the information available from the device. For floppy drives, this option has no effect. SCSI disk devices return the following: Vendor and product ID Device type Size (in bytes and in logical blocks) Bytes per sector Revision level SCSI conformance level data DIAGNOSTICS
Most of the diagnostic messages from are self-explanatory. However, one diagnostic message deserves further clarification. If the command fails to access the lunpath corresponding to a given special file, it displays the following diagnostics data, which contains device iden- tification and capability information: device type 127 (unknown); device is inaccessible iso ecma ansi rmb dtq resv rdf WARNINGS
As of release 10.20 of HP-UX, certain IDE devices, CD-ROMs in particular, will respond to inquiries as if they were SCSI devices. There- fore, the text "SCSI describe" in the output of the command does not definitively mean that the disk is in fact a SCSI drive (especially in the case of CD-ROMs). Use to check which type of INTERFACE node, SCSI or IDE, the device's hardware path lies beneath, in order to defini- tively determine a drive's interface. DEPENDENCIES
General The command supports floppy and HP SCSI disk devices. SCSI Devices The SCSI specification provides for a wide variety of device-dependent formats. For non-HP devices, may be unable to interpret all of the data returned by the device. Refer to the drive operating manual accompanying the unit for more information. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
ioscan(1M), lsdev(1M), disktab(4), disk(7). diskinfo(1M)