Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Permissions for the root user on Solaris 10 Post 302235428 by Shreedhar Naik on Friday 12th of September 2008 01:40:30 AM
Old 09-12-2008
Java Permissions for the root user on Solaris 10

Hi I have a doubt, here if a file does not have the write permissions to the root user my script is going to write the data into that file. when i executed the script as root user. Is it correct ... ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root group permissions

Hello, Another newbie here and here is my dilemma. I created an account for me on Solaris 8 and I added myself to the root group. But when I login using that account I am unable to do superuser tasks.. (add users, admintool, etc). What am I missing? Thanks in advance.. Andre (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobsa
5 Replies

2. Linux

permissions to su to root

What is the file you have to edit to allow or deny someone to be able to su - to root? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

Root Permissions

Hi all, I cannot change root owned files/directories even though I am logged in as root. >drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Oct 25 14:00 prodbkp >root / # chown oracle prodbkp prodbkp: Not owner >id uid=0(root) gid=3(sys) groups=0(root) please assist. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: macgre_r
0 Replies

4. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Enable FTP for root user in Solaris 10

I am not able to get ftp working for Solaris 10 for root user. I am getting login failed error. 331 Password required for root. Password: 530 Login incorrect. Login failed. Tried following things already. 1. SFTP works ok, still would like to know why FTP is not working (curious). 2.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: webkid
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

8. SuSE

Non root user want to see /var/log/messages - any suse equivalent of Solaris dmesg

Hi New to Suse - mainly used Solaris. In solaris dmesg will also show you contents of messages log file but in Suse Liux it doesnt appear to. I dont have root access to this Suse server, and wondering is there any other tool / utility that allows me to see the messages file contents like on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - 'ls' green for root user only

Welcome to all. Have an issue and looking for help so hope someone is able to give me some clues. I prepared some shell scripts with coloured output to help other guys to have more automated task. Not sure if I did this but now whenever I use 'ls' command for root user every output in... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
29 Replies

10. Solaris

Root user not recognizing on Solaris-10 (shadow file corruption)

Hello, I got into a wired state on one of solaris 10 server. When I noticed that server is having some issue, I found that there were dumpadm.conf entries in /etc/shadow and real entries were wiped of. Probably somebody fat fingers. I was able to boot into failsafe, break SVM mirror, copied... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
25 Replies
root_archive(1M)														  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2: Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)