Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to convert a html file to an .xml one Post 302235426 by summer_cherry on Friday 12th of September 2008 01:26:55 AM
Old 09-12-2008
input(filename):
Code:
<html>
<title>
</title>
<head>
</head>
<body>
<ul id="SummaryRatings">4 stars </ul>
<ul id="summaryList">
<p><b>Author1</b>
</p>
<p>Author1 comments</p>
</ul>
<ul id="SummaryRatings">5 stars </ul>
<ul id="summaryList">
<p><b> Aurhor2</b>
</p>
<p>Author2 comments</p>
</ul>
</body>
</html>

output:
Code:
<?xml.....>
<Review>
<rating>4 stars </rating>
<comment>
<author><b>Author1</b></author>
<reviewcomment>Author1 comments</reviewcomment>
</comment>
</Review>
<Review>
<rating>5 stars </rating>
<comment>
<author><b> Aurhor2</b></author>
<reviewcomment>Author2 comments</reviewcomment>
</comment>
</Review>

code:
Code:
open(FH,"<filename");
while(<FH>){
	if(/Ratings/){
		@arr1=split("[<|>]",$_);
		push @rate,$arr1[2];
	}
	if(/<b>/){
		@arr2=split("[<|>]",$_);
		push @author,$arr2[4];
	}
	if(/<p>[^<]/){
		@arr3=split("[<|>]",$_);
		push @comment,$arr3[2];
	}
}
close(FH);
print "<?xml.....>\n";
for ($i=0;$i<=$#rate;$i++)
{
	print "<Review>\n";
	print "<rating>",$rate[$i],"</rating>\n";
	print "<comment>\n";
	print "<author><b>",$author[$i],"</b></author>\n";
	print "<reviewcomment>",$comment[$i],"</reviewcomment>\n";
	print "</comment>\n";
	print "</Review>\n";
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to convert Flat file to HTML

Hello I need help to convert flat file data to HTML Table format. I am generating everyday Flat file and want to convert into HTML Table format. The format of my file is: version host Total YRS NO APPS PSD 10 Sun 30 2 4 6 7 and flat... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma text file to Column in html format

I am trying to generate a report with below file : File1 : EQADM,edrtere9-phys,8122caef0,gpatmon,/bin/ksh,nuten Erick EQADM,edrtere11-phys,8227caef0,gpatmon,/bin/ksh,nuten Erick EQADM,edrtere3-phys,822caef0,gpatmon,/bin/ksh,nuten Erick can you help me convert it to html and add... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert csv to html file

Hi All, I am new to this forum,not sure where to post this query...so posted here Kindly need any of your help on the below ------------ I am using shell scripting and trying to convert a csv file to html file... example.csv --------------- Name Country Age Sex Andy India 25 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumithra
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to convert text file to html table using perl

Hi, I have a text file say file1 having data like ABC c:/hm/new1 Dir DEF d:/ner/d sd ...... So i want to make a table from this text file, is it possible to do it using perl. Thanks in advance Sarbjit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to convert CSV file to HTML

Hi, I have made a a script which creates a csv file as daily database report However i want to covert that csv file to html because csv file does not have a good visibilty. So it is possible to have such csv to html coversion script. Your prompt help much appreciated. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to convert csv file to html with good visibility

Hi, I have Below script which converts csv file to html succesfully.but the visiblity is simple in black n white. I want to have better visibilty of each columns in different colours(like green).As it is a Database report suppose some tablespace available space is less than 20% then it should... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sv0081493
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to convert output.txt into html file

I have output.txt file generated through shell scripts which need convert in tabular format using html can you please help me output.txt Token State Date1 Date2 Description Name 34567 open 27/06/13 28/06/13 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text file to HTML tabular format.

Please provide script/commands to convert text file to HTML tabular format. No need of styles and colours, just output and a heading in table is required. Output file will be send via email and will be seen from outlook. (script required without using awk). output file content: (sar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_V
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Txt file to HTML table and email

Hi all I need help converting a text file into a html table in bash and I need to email this table. The text file looks like the below. Two columns with multiple rows. Top row being header. Application Name Application Status Application 1 Open Application 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmanjd
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert content of file to HTML

Hi I have file like this: jack black 104 daniel nick 75 lily harm 2 albert 5 and need to convert it into the html table like this: NO.......name....family..... id 1...........jack.....black.....104 2..........daniel....nick.......75 3..........albert.................5 i mean... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
5 Replies
XMLTO(1)							       xmlto								  XMLTO(1)

NAME
xmlto - apply an XSL stylesheet to an XML document SYNOPSIS
xmlto [-o output_dir] [-x custom_xsl] [-m xsl_fragment] [-v] [-p postprocessor_opts] [--extensions] [--searchpath path] [--skip-validation] {format} {file} xmlto {--help | --version} DESCRIPTION
The purpose of xmlto is to convert an XML file to the desired format using whatever means necessary. This may involve two steps: 1. The application of an appropriate XSL stylesheet using an XSL-T processor. 2. Further processing with other tools. This step may not be necessary. To decide which stylesheet to use and what, if any, needs to be done to post-process the output, xmlto makes use of format scripts, which are simple shell scripts that xmlto calls during the conversion. The appropriate format script is selected based on the type of XML file and the desired output format. xmlto comes with some format scripts for converting DocBook XML files to a variety of formats. You may specify your own format script by using an absolute filename for format on the command line. Firstly, if xmlto has not been told explicitly which stylesheet to use (with the -x option), the format script will be called with $1 set to stylesheet. The environment variable XSLT_PROCESSOR contains the base name of the executable that will be used to perform the XSL-T transformation (for example xsltproc), and the environment variable XSL_DIR contains the path to the directory containing some useful stylesheets that come with xmlto. The format script should write the name of the stylesheet to use to standard output and exit success- fully, or exit with a non-zero return code if there is no appropriate stylesheet to use (for example, if the only available stylesheet is known not to work with the XSL-T processor that will be used). If nothing is written to standard output but the script exits successfully, no XSL-T transformation will be performed. Secondly, after an XSL-T processor has been run using the stylesheet, the format script will be called again, this time with $1 set to post-process. The format script should perform any necessary steps to translate the XSL-T processed output into the desired output format, including copying the output to the desired output directory. For post-processing, the format script is run in a temporary directory con- taining just the processed output (whose name is stored in XSLT_PROCESSED and whose basename is that of the original XML file with any filename extension replaced with .proc). INPUT_FILE is set to the name of the original XML file, OUTPUT_DIR is set to the name of the directory that the output (and only the output) must end up in, and SEARCHPATH is set to a colon-separate list of fallback directories in which to look for input (for images, for example). If this step is unsuccessful the format script should exit with a non-zero return code. -v Be verbose (-vv for very verbose). -x stylesheet Use stylesheet instead of asking the format script to choose one. -m fragment Use the provided XSL fragment to modify the stylesheet. -o directory Put output in the specified directory instead of the current working directory. -p postprocessor_opts Pass postprocessor_opts to processing stages after stylesheet application (e.g. lynx or links when going through HTML to text, or xmltex when going from through TeX to DVI). If -p is specified a second time, the options specified will be passed to second-stage postprocessing; presently this is only applicable when going through xmltex and dvips to PostScript. --extensions Turn on stylesheet extensions for the tool chain in use (for example, this might turn on passivetex.extensions and use.extensions if PassiveTeX is being used). The variables turned on are the ones used by Norman Walsh's DocBook XSL stylesheets. --searchpath path Add the colon-separated list of directories in path as fallback directories for including input. --skip-validation Skip the validation step that is normally performed. --help Display a short usage message. It will describe xmlto's options, and the available output formats. --version Display the version number of xmlto. EXAMPLES
To convert a DocBook XML document to PDF, use: xmlto pdf mydoc.xml To convert a DocBook XML document to HTML and store the resulting HTML files in a separate directory use: xmlto -o html-dir html mydoc.xml To convert a DocBook XML document to a single HTML file use: xmlto html-nochunks mydoc.xml To modify the output using an XSL fragment use: xmlto -m ulink.xsl pdf mydoc.xml To specify which stylesheet to use (overriding the one that the format script would choose) use: xmlto -x mystylesheet.xsl pdf mydoc.xml AUTHOR
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com>. Linux October 2002 XMLTO(1)