Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to use vi to replace specific line of text only Post 302235288 by avronius on Thursday 11th of September 2008 03:18:46 PM
Old 09-11-2008
: 4,7s/\|/\|\|\|\|/g

whoops - I need to spend more time reading these things before trying to jump in with a solution...

Last edited by avronius; 09-11-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Taking foot out of mouth

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific text line out of multiple occurance

Hi I would like to replace specific line eg ExitAction = NONE to ExitAction = FALSE under only TASK sipsiproc and other ExitAction = NONE will remain as usual in the file(shell script) The file contains: TASK rgcdproc { CommandLine = $SSHOME/bin/rgcd.exe NewConsole... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace text in SPECIFIC multiple files

I have a list of files with different file names and ext that i need replace(saved as file_list.txt.) i just want to replace from a specific file list. i obtain an error saying lint not found. Plz help. Thx perl -e "s/$NAME/$T_NAME/gi;" -pi $(find . -type f | xargs -0 lint -e < file_list.txt) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvmy
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace/Remove not specific text in perl

Hello, Consider that i have many files that have the below format: file1 900 7777 1000 5 6 23 nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn 1100 kkkkkkk file2 900 1989 1000 5 3 10 kkkdfdfdffd 1100 kkkkkkk What i would like to do is on every file to search the line that starts with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use sed to replace but only in a specific column of the text file

Hi, I would like to use sed to replace NA to x ('s/NA/x/g'), but only in the 5th column of the space delimited text file, nowhere else. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find from file and replace with specific text

Dear All, I do not have any knowledge of scripting. I want to replace specific lines of a text file with a specific text. Like I have one file which is "original file" and one file "changes file" which has list of lines which I want to replace in original file with a specific string. I want the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libras
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies
Hex-a-hop(6)															      Hex-a-hop(6)

NAME
hex-a-hop - puzzle game based on hexagonal tiles DESCRIPTION
Hex-a-hop is a puzzle game based on hexagonal tiles. There is no time limit and no real-time element. The objective is simply to destroy all the green hexagonal tiles on each of the 100 levels. As you progress through the game, more types of tiles are introduced which make things more difficult and interesting. USAGE
You can move the character around with the keys Q,W,E,A,S,D, or with the numeric keypad. Alternatively, you can use the mouse and click on the tile you'd like to move to. Use 'U', backspace or the right mouse button to undo mistakes. The 'Esc' key (or middle mouse button) brings up a menu from which you can restart if you get stuck. Your goal is to break all the green tiles. You mainly do this by jumping on them. They will crack when you land on them, and only disinte- grate when you jump off. Try not to trap yourself! During the game, you will be given hints and instructions on what to do. Use the cursor keys or click on the arrows to scroll through the help pages. More pages will be added as you progress through the game, as new tiles will keep appearing. You can choose which level to attempt next from the map screen. Silver levels are ones you've cleared. Black levels are ones you haven't completed yet, but are available to play. There is no time limit and no real-time element, so take as long as you like. SEE ALSO
You can find more about the game on its homepage: http://www.aceinternet.co.uk/~mokona/ In Debian's version, game data is stored in the directory $HOME/.hex-a-hop/. If the environment variable $HOME is not set, it'll use /tmp/ instead. AUTHOR
The game has been written by Tom Beaumont, and is distributed under the GNU General Public License, either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. Hex-a-hop(6)