Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a pattern in part of the line Post 302234734 by era on Wednesday 10th of September 2008 08:24:19 AM
Old 09-10-2008
Code:
egrep '^.{0,4}aaaaa' file

... assuming you mean it can start in any position from 0 through 5. If the first five characters need to be precisely aaaaa then you don't even need egrep.

Code:
 grep '^aaaaa' file

To read the patterns from a file, something like

Code:
sed -e 's%^%^.{0,4}%' patternfile | egrep -f - file

If your egrep doesn't permit -f - or doesn't have the -f option, there are workarounds, of course.

Last edited by era; 09-10-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Reading patterns from a file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How do i grep a pattern from part of LINE

Hi how do i grep only a part of the line from a file from all the lines. file: asdfgh 543212376 nag lkjh abhilash 543757858 How do i grep and print only 543212376 and 543757858 Can i grep something like 543* and print only that. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123nagendrabhi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I am new to this forum and i would like to get help in this issue. I have a file 1.txt as shown: apple banana orange apple grapes banana orange grapes orange .... Now i would like to search for pattern say apple or orange and then put a # at the beginning of the pattern... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

modify a particular pattern starting from second line of the search pattern

Hi, I think you ppl did not get my question correctly, let me explain I have 1.txt with following entries as shown: 0152364|134444|10.20.30.40|015236433 0233654|122555|10.20.30.50|023365433 ** ** ** In file 2.txt I have the following entries as shown: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: imas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and replace the whole line

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have to find a pattern in a file and comment the whole line containing the search pattern. Any ideas in shell is welcome. Thanks in advance, Regards, Arun (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the line starting with a pattern and save a part in variable

Hi i have a file which has mutiple line in it. inside that i have a pattern similar to this /abc/def/hij i want to fine the pattern starting with "/" and get the first word in between the the symbols "/" i.e. "abc" in this case into a variable. thanks in advance (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kichu
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

search more than one pattern with perl on same line

Hi friends, I want to search for some hex error codes in some files. After the hex error code is found, the occurences would be counted. Afterwards the found hex errorcode would be cat into a separate file. Here is my code: #!/usr/bin/perl use File::Basename; my $find = $ARGV; my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search pattern and add that pattern in next line

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting and need help in scripting using CSH. Here is what I am trying to so, 1. Search a specific string e.g. "task" from "task (input1, out1)". 2. Extract the arguements "input1" and "out1" 3. Add them in separate lines below. eg. "int input1" , " integer out1" ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deshiashish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern and add new line below

Hi, I have 2 files like below. File A: apple mango File B: start abc def apple ghi end start cba fed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern that is in the middle of the line.

Hello, How do I use sed to search for a pattern in the middle of a line and delete the whole line. The command I have is as below. sed -i '/soft nofile/ d' /etc/security/limits.conf I have some *'s and spaces in front of the string. With the above command I'm not able to delete it. Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawaugh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern in a line and remove another pattern

Hi, I want to search a pattern in a text file and remove another pattern in that file. my text file look like this 0.000000 1.970000 F 303 - 1.970000 2.080000 VH VH + 2.080000 2.250000 VH VH + 2.250000 2.330000 VH L - 2.330000 2.360000 F H + 2.360000 2.410000 L VL - 2.410000 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)