Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: TOP redirect to file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting TOP redirect to file Post 302234383 by era on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 02:15:05 PM
Old 09-09-2008
Concur, if you just want the process listing, why don't you run ps on the process once per second in a loop.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
while true; do
  ps -up $1
  sleep 1
done

You'd run this with the PID as the argument on the command line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect stderr from top with csh

Hello all im trying to use top program in my csh shell like this : set topResult = `top | grep server.exe` but im facing 2 problems 1.when the top program dont installed in the machine im getting error so can i check in csh if application im using exist 2 the top program gives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to Redirect the error messages from Syslog file to our own Application Log File

Hello, I am New to Unix. I am Using HP-UX 9000 Series for my Application. I am Currently Facing an Issue that the error messages are being written in the syslog file instead of the Application Log File. The Codes for that Syslog.h is written in Pro*C. I want to know how to Redirect these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramaniam
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare and redirect to new file

hi i have two file a.txt 123,b,c,d,e 111,c,d,e,f, 456,a,k,j,h b.txt 123 678 987 321 456 i want to compare these two files(match content of b first coloum with a ) and o/p should be like 123,d,e 456,j,h pls help.....:) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
7 Replies

6. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

7. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh- redirect stderr to file and then modify the file

I have the following: remsh $host -n 2>>syslog_issue_list.txt grep -i -e "EMS" -e "error" -e "warning" -e "excessive" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk /"$DATE1"/ | awk -vhost="$host" '!/remsh|telnetd/{print host "\n", $0 >> "syslog_issue_list.txt"}' I am creating a health script that has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from input and redirect to output file

Hi , i am having an file which contains 5 file_name data, i need to read the file name and will perform certain operation and generate out file names with named as 5 individual file_names for eg: file.txt contains file_name1.txt|hai file_name2.txt|bye file_name3.txt|how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to a file

Hi, Is there a way to redirect the output of a set of commands to a file instead of using << at every command in bash shell. For eg (echo hostname echo "Comparing 2 files" comm -3 file1 file2) >>file3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
3 Replies
execsnoop(1m)							   USER COMMANDS						     execsnoop(1m)

NAME
execsnoop - snoop new process execution. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
execsnoop [-a|-A|-ejhsvZ] [-c command] DESCRIPTION
execsnoop prints details of new processes as they are executed. Details such as UID, PID and argument listing are printed out. This program is very useful to examine short lived processes that would not normally appear in a prstat or "ps -ef" listing. Sometimes applications will run hundreds of short lived processes in their normal startup cycle, a behaviour that is easily monitored with execsnoop. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -A dump all data, space delimited -e safe output, parseable. This prevents the ARGS field containing " "s, to assist postprocessing. -j print project ID -s print start time, us -v print start time, string -Z print zonename -c command command name to snoop EXAMPLES
Default output, print processes as they are executed, # execsnoop Print human readable timestamps, # execsnoop -v Print zonename, # execsnoop -Z Snoop this command only, # execsnoop -c ls FIELDS
UID User ID PID Process ID PPID Parent Process ID COMM command name for the process ARGS argument listing for the process ZONE zonename PROJ project ID TIME timestamp for the exec event, us STRTIME timestamp for the exec event, string DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
execsnoop will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.20 Jul 02, 2005 execsnoop(1m)