Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux how to get the correct reading of diskspace Post 302234366 by jonathan184 on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 01:50:17 PM
Old 09-09-2008
Error how to get the correct reading of diskspace

What has happened.

I beleive the diskpace is not showing the correct reading.

Is there another command to use to get the diskspace without using du -h?

Is there another command linux uses.

The reason i am assuing this i cleared the log of a process that started using nohup for example.

nohup script1.sh > script1.log 2>&1

Now the script1.log was consuming all the diskspace

So while the process is still running i cleared the log using cat /dev/null > script1.sh then ran rm -rf script1.sh

after this was done the diskspace is remaining the same size even though the file removed was at least 20% to 30% use of diskspace.

Currently I cannot kill the script at the moment as it is a n important script. So i just wanted to know if there is a work around to get the correct disk size without killing the process in the mean time.

Any help would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diskspace usage info

Anybody can help me? I need to know a specified folder diskspace usage, that's how much bytes that folder and its files/folders below spend on my storage. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nusajunus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux diskspace usage

when /var directory of my machine gets filled up (85%) i removed some old logs. but after cleaning df -k command still shows that /var is still 85% full. It can detect the actual disk space only after I restart the machine. Is there a way to force df to reflect actual free space without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: necro
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diskspace

Hi there, pls help me, i have a problem, how i can find out the disk amount of each harddisk per command (not the on label on the Harddisk) i need it on HP UX and Sun. can anybody helb me???? pls thanks Scotty (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotty
1 Replies

4. AIX

Help ... Java not reading correct AIX system time.

I have Java 1.4.2 (IBM AIX build ca142-20050929a SR3) installed on AIX 5.3. My system time is set correctly and both date and smitty confirm the correct date, time, and timezone: #date Thu Sep 21 15:12:42 EDT 2006 However, when I check the sytem time in Java... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave521
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to compute diskspace

Guys, have any idea for the script like this? also to compute w/ decimal. thanks a=10 b=20 c=30 d=40 if a < b then ( a -b)*1024 = free space b + (c -d) = total space if a > b then (b / d)*1024 = cpu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ASM Diskspace

Hi I want to check Oracle ASM disk status through a PERL script. Script flow would be like this ... 1. Its taking diskgroup name in the command line... 2. Connect to Oracle database 3. If connection error send a critical message. Plz replyyyyyyy...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
1 Replies

7. Solaris

graphical diskspace analyzer

Hi all, recently I took over the admin task for a solaris 5.10 machine. Being a little bit familiar with debian systems Solaris is up to now a complete mystery to me. The first thing I would like to have is a graphical diskspace analyzer. I mean something like BaoBab under gnome. I there a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sly_dunbar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ask]elimination with diskspace

dear all, i want elimination file with disk space for example: $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 62G 19G 41G 31% / /dev/sda1 99M 13M 82M 13% /boot tmpfs 1014M 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

DiskSpace Error

Hi, While am preparing the script for diskspace for different partitions different threshhold limit. am getting below error: ./test.sh: syntax error at line 5: `space=$' unexpected Script ==== #!/bin/sh df -h |grep -v '/oradata2'|grep -v '/orabkp' |grep -v '/oradata5' | awk '{ print $5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pavan83
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Check free diskspace

Hi all, I would like to know what was the free disk space available in my system for last two days back. I know how to check free disk space by command below. df -h But i want to know the same outcome for last two days back. Please help me. Reg, Mastan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mastansaheb
5 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)