Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: editing file in place
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting editing file in place Post 302233704 by MartyIX on Monday 8th of September 2008 08:46:45 AM
Old 09-08-2008
2era:
> One clever workaround I stumbled on in these forums a few weeks ago used backticks to get the data out of the destination file before overwriting it.

Thank you! I like the solution :-) but it would not work properly with escape sequences, would it? Chars like "\n" are not treated as escape sequence unless switch -e is enabled - and this switch is not in single unix specification.

I think that:

Code:
variable="`paste -d ":" file1 file2`"
printf "%s" $variable >file1

should work always. Am I right?

One more thing racks my brains: How long text may I set to a variable?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a large file in place

:confused:Folks, I have a file with 50 million records having 2 columns. I have to do the below: 1. Generate some random numbers of a fixed length. 2. Replace the second column of randomly chosen rows with the random numbers. I tried using a little bit of perl to generate random numbers... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvijayv
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Jump to a specific place in a file?

If I cat a file And want to go to the first instance of a particular value - what command would I use? And then from that point where I jumped to search for another value - but only search from that point forward not before the file? Thanks~ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert a string in a file at specified place?

Hi all, I want to insert a string in a specified place of a very large file. I am giving an example of the task: I love football. Above is a sentence in a file and I want to insert a string "the" between love and football. It is not sure that where this particular line exists. It has to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
4 Replies

4. Solaris

What is the best way to copy data from place to another place?

Dear Gurus, I need you to advice or suggestion about the best solution to copy data around 200-300G from serverA(location A) to serverB(location B). Normally, I will share folder and then copy but it takes too long time(about 2 days). Do you have any suggestion or which way should be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unitipon
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy dir/file from one place to another.

Hello all. I'm not getting the hang of Paths. I have a dir w/files that I want to copy to another dir. Right now I am in the "source" directory. I want to copy it to Ch7. "cp -r source Ch7". Ch7 was already created. 1st msg.: cannot stat `source`: No such file or dir. I typed pwd & got... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ccccc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file specific place in file using inode

Hello, I am using tcsh on AIX. I would like to write a script that does the following: 1. given an inode, how do I find exactly the name of the file? I know I could do this using ls -i | grep <inode> but it returns: <inode> <filename>. I need some string manipulation or something to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to place input from user into a file

as the title, how can i allow a user to key in one's name, birthday and email address and save it into a specific file i have created earlier? thank you so much for any reply. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: branred
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text file in place

I have a file that i want to take only the first part of it and discard the rest, to be accurate,I need the first 137097 lines but I cant use split because I dont have enough space on my disck. I need sth to cut the file in its place (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file availability and place flag file

I have to check a directory on Linux (via shell Script which I am trying to build) for about 20 different source files with file patterns and if the files are made available in the directory, I should place flag files for which my other ETL jobs are waiting on to kick off. If the source files are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a file in all directories and place the file in that directory

Hi All, Daily I am getting the updated file. I have to search for this file in all directories and sub directories. If the file existed in a particular directory then move this updated file to that particular directory. If the file is not existed in any of the directories then place this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
4 Replies
MV(1)							      General Commands Manual							     MV(1)

NAME
mv - move or rename files SYNOPSIS
mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file1 file2 mv [ -i ] [ -f ] [ - ] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Mv moves (changes the name of) file1 to file2. If file2 already exists, it is removed before file1 is moved. If file2 has a mode which forbids writing, mv prints the mode (see chmod(2)) and reads the standard input to obtain a line; if the line begins with y, the move takes place; if not, mv exits. In the second form, one or more files (plain files or directories) are moved to the directory with their original file-names. Mv refuses to move a file onto itself. Options: -i stands for interactive mode. Whenever a move is to supercede an existing file, the user is prompted by the name of the file followed by a question mark. If he answers with a line starting with 'y', the move continues. Any other reply prevents the move from occur- ring. -f stands for force. This option overrides any mode restrictions or the -i switch. - means interpret all the following arguments to mv as file names. This allows file names starting with minus. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ln(1) BUGS
If file1 and file2 lie on different file systems, mv must copy the file and delete the original. In this case the owner name becomes that of the copying process and any linking relationship with other files is lost. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 MV(1)