Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming POSIX - Hot to check if detached thread is still active Post 302233618 by orangem on Monday 8th of September 2008 06:39:42 AM
Old 09-08-2008
POSIX - Hot to check if detached thread is still active

Hello,

I have created program that run threads one by one, maximum 100. Each thread will process one block of data, and once it`s finished, new thread is created with new block of data....etc

I have array of values to control status of each thread, like this:

array_thread_status[0]=1
array_thread_status[1]=0
array_thread_status[2]=0
array_thread_status[3]=1
array_thread_status[99]=1

When thread is created value is set to 1. When thread is finished, it set value to 0, so main program can create new thread instead.

This is all working good, so far...but I`m affraid of this scenario:

Main program
CREATE THREAD
SET VALUE TO 1

Thread
STARTING THREAD
PROBLEM - THREAD IS TERMINATED AND DIDN`T RESET VARIABLE TO 0

Main program might think that thread is still active, and new one will not be run.

So, I think that there must be another way to check weather thread is still active or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi threading using posix thread library

hi all, can anyone tell me some good site for the mutithreading tutorials, its application, and some code examples. -sushil (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shushilmore
2 Replies

2. Programming

About Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL)

Is there anybody has documents about NPTL I wanna study about it , but can't find the documents.... anyone help appreciate :) :) :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alan.zhao
1 Replies

3. Programming

Posix Thread Programming

Hello, i have 2 questions: 1. Can I get the current memory usage of a thread? 2. Can I use a member-function as (void*)(*)(void*) method to create a new thread with "pthread_create(...)"?? I would be happy about any suggestion. Regards, Rolf (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkasel
2 Replies

4. Programming

POSIX Thread - Memory leak

Hi all! I am implementing an http server in c++ using the posix thread, but i am having a memory leak and i cannot find the reason. I have already commented out the section that initializes the threads and i found out, the problem is when i initialize/run the threads. In the threads i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laurovalente
1 Replies

5. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

POSIX thread runs out of memory

i am creating threads in my program using the POSIX interface. when the thread starts executing i run out of memory and get a core dump. i have tried to increase the threads stack size using pthread_attr_setstacksize, but of no use since i guess the dynamic memory is allocated on the heap and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aniketkadu2002
1 Replies

7. Programming

detached thread is causing program crash

Hi All, I have scenario where my callback function data_update() can be called anytime. I have written the function data_update() such that it will create detached thread for processing the data sent to this function. data_update() { pthread_attr_t attr_thread; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wonderman
1 Replies

8. Programming

when can we destory thread attributes using pthread_attr_destroy() for detached thrd

Hi All, I am creating detached threads using pthread_create(). As we know, we need to pass the thread attribute structure as an argument to the pthread_Create() API. I want to know what is the good time to destroy this thread attributes using pthread_attr_destroy() call. Also, I want to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wonderman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if Port is Active

is there a better way to check if a port is active on linux and sunos systems? this is currently what I'm using in my script: netstat -an | egrep -i "$PORT" i know this isn't the best way as there could be numbers in that output that has my port number in it but isn't necessarily a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
0 Replies

10. Programming

POSIX Thread Help

I want to create a program that creates 2 child process, and each of them creates 2 threads, and each thread prints its thread id. I0ve allread done that the outuput isn't the outuput i want. When a run the following comand "$./a.out | sort -u | wc -l" I have the folowing output 2 $: It should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies
thr_join(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					      thr_join(3C)

NAME
thr_join - wait for thread termination SYNOPSIS
cc -mt [ flag... ] file...[ library... ] #include <thread.h> int thr_join(thread_t thread, thread_t *departed, void **status); DESCRIPTION
The thr_join() function suspends processing of the calling thread until the target thread completes. The thread argument must be a member of the current process and cannot be a detached thread. See thr_create(3C). If two or more threads wait for the same thread to complete, all will suspend processing until the thread has terminated, and then one thread will return successfully and the others will return with an error of ESRCH. The thr_join() function will not block processing of the calling thread if the target thread has already terminated. If a thr_join() call returns successfully with a non-null status argument, the value passed to thr_exit(3C) by the terminating thread will be placed in the location referenced by status. If the target thread ID is 0, thr_join() finds and returns the status of a terminated undetached thread in the process. If no such thread exists, it suspends processing of the calling thread until a thread for which no other thread is waiting enters that state, at which time it returns successfully, or until all other threads in the process are either daemon threads or threads waiting in thr_join(), in which case it returns EDEADLK. See NOTES. If departed is not NULL, it points to a location that is set to the ID of the terminated thread if thr_join() returns successfully. RETURN VALUES
If successful, thr_join() returns 0. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error. ERRORS
EDEADLK A joining deadlock would occur, such as when a thread attempts to wait for itself, or the calling thread is waiting for any thread to exit and only daemon threads or waiting threads exist in the process. ESRCH No undetached thread could be found corresponding to the given thread ID. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
thr_create(3C), thr_exit(3C), wait(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
Using thr_join(3C) in the following syntax, while (thr_join(0, NULL, NULL) == 0); will wait for the termination of all non-daemon threads, excluding threads that are themselves waiting in thr_join(). SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 2000 thr_join(3C)