Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers access each character in a string Post 302233603 by f_o_555 on Monday 8th of September 2008 06:01:52 AM
Old 09-08-2008
Thank you for the reply.

I get a sytax error like this:
although i' m using bash it seems that substr

expr: syntax error

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete first 2 character from string

Hi ! All, I have to delete first 2 characters from string. How its possible? Like string value is "2001". I required output as "01" Plaese help me. Nitin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitinshinde
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Testing the last character in a string

Hi In the shell scripted I'm trying to write! I would like to test the last character in a string. The string is a path/directory and I want to see if the last character is a '/'. The string (path/directory) is inputted by a user. If the '/' character isn't present then I want to be able to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
11 Replies

3. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display only last character of a string?

hi all, if i do an: "echo $string |" what should be after the pipe to display ONLY the last char of the output? tia, DN2 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn: How to loop through a string character by character

If I have a string defined as: MyString=abcde echo $MyString How can I loop through it character by character? I haven't been able to find a way to index the string so that I loop through it. shew01 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the last character of a string

How to extract the last character of a string in bash? ---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:55 PM ---------- Suppose "abcde" is a string. i want to extract the last character i.e. "e". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to access character from string

This it to pring 'i' character. #!/usr/bin/perl $str="This is perl"; print $str; Must i split the string to access a character from string? How can i print characters individually using a for loop? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How the user process can access the character device loaded by my module

I am trying to load into the kernel a system-call dynamically (without restarting the kernel and compailing it) in an attempt to (once in kernel mode) write to user process's memory. (I know there is a way to do this with the ptrace interface but it is not an option.) I know the only way to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hopelessProgram
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I match the particular character in the string?

Hi, I want to check out a word in the text file and generate a clear report for me to see... The text file content: Content: ............ 20120608: 20120608: ............ 20120608: .......... 2012031201: , hime] End of the file My expected output is: Full TXT: manatsu TXT:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meroko
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
MB_STRCUT(3)								 1							      MB_STRCUT(3)

mb_strcut - Get part of string

SYNOPSIS
string mb_strcut (string $str, int $start, [int $length = NULL], [string $encoding = mb_internal_encoding()]) DESCRIPTION
mb_strcut(3) extracts a substring from a string similarly to mb_substr(3), but operates on bytes instead of characters. If the cut position happens to be between two bytes of a multi-byte character, the cut is performed starting from the first byte of that character. This is also the difference to the substr(3) function, which would simply cut the string between the bytes and thus result in a malformed byte sequence. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being cut. o $start - Starting position in bytes. o $length - Length in bytes. If omitted or NULL is passed, extract all bytes to the end of the string. o $encoding -The $encoding parameter is the character encoding. If it is omitted, the internal character encoding value will be used. RETURN VALUES
mb_strcut(3) returns the portion of $str specified by the $start and $length parameters. SEE ALSO
mb_substr(3), mb_internal_encoding(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_STRCUT(3)