Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Incrementing the date stored in the variable Post 302233584 by jim mcnamara on Monday 8th of September 2008 05:04:47 AM
Old 09-08-2008
Yes - look in the FAQ for the the thread
"DATE ARITHMETIC"

You want the datecalc script.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with incrementing date in while loop.

I need to execute a KornShell (SunOS 5.9) script against a range of dates: endDate=20080804 extractDate=20080401 while ; do batch < scripts/myshellscript.sh $extractDate ## add 1 day to extractDate ## done My question is how do I increment the extractDate variable and still have it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Robert W.Mills
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing a variable is not happening

Hi All, Iam trying to increment a variable Following is the code #!/usr/bin/ksh i=1; i='expr $i+1'; echo $i; Output: expr $i+1 not able to understand why its happening in that way i was expecting result as 2... if the above method is worng .. can you help how i can get... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranlalka
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable with variable definition is stored in a variable?

Hi all, I have a variable say var1 (output from somewhere, which I can't change)which store something like this: echo $var1 name=fred age=25 address="123 abc" password=pass1234 how can I make the variable $name, $age, $address and $password contain the info? I mean do this in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freddy1228
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problem in incrementing the variable

When I did, echo $SHELL in cmd prompt of putty, its displaying /bin/sh And in my shell script., I hav started with., #!/bin/sh and i=1; while ; do . . . i=$; (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing variable in for

Hi, want to increment a variable in a for loop like this: for (( c=$total-1; c>=0; c-- )) do if ; then maximo=$valores fi done But it gives the error: No such file or directory How can i do this only incrementing the c variable? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: limadario
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not found error for a variable which is returned from stored procedure

can anyone please help me with this: i have written a shell script and a stored procedure which has one OUT parameter. now i want to use that out parameter as an input to the unix script but i am getting an error as variable not found. below are the unix scripts and stored procedure... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap21783
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

incrementing the variable name along with the data?

Hello folks. I am trying to increment my variable names to match a counter that is to be used later on... Basically, i have a for loop that lists directories (for example TEST_OS DVP_OS PROD_OS ) but this loop is not static, it may contain 3 directory once and the next run 5 directories. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with incrementing the date

I have a date variable like 2012-12-31 ( YYYY -MM -DD ) in flat file and it has to be incremtented by 1 every time i run the script Example : i tried the below script after data modifcation but this does not seem to work expr `20121231 +%Y%m%d` + 1 Note : Mine is not a GNU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay01987
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a date stored in a variable to epoch date

I am not able to pass date stored in a variable as an argument to date command. I get current date value for from_date and to_date #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x for s in server ; do ssh -T $s <<-EOF from_date="12-Jan-2015 12:02:09" to_date="24-Jan-2015 13:02:09" echo \$from_date echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj48
7 Replies
ns_thread(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				     ns_thread(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_thread - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_thread begin script ns_thread begindetached script ns_thread get ns_thread getid ns_thread wait tid ns_thread yield _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_thread begin: begins a new thread which evaluates the specified script and then exits. It returns a thread ID that must eventually be passed to ns_thread wait. (Failing to call ns_thread wait will eventually result in no new threads being created.) ns_thread begindetached: begins a detached thread that doesn't have to be (and can't be) waited for. ns_thread get: gets the thread ID of the current thread. The result is a thread ID that can be passed to ns_thread wait and may look something like "tid532". ns_thread getid: gets the thread integer number for the current thread. The result is a small integer used for identifying threads is a human-read- able way, such as "1" or "1120", for example. ns_thread wait: waits for the specified thread to exit. The tid argument is a thread ID returned by ns_thread begin or ns_thread get. ns_thread yield: causes the current thread to yield. EXAMPLES
This example is similar to the example under the ns_sockselect function of connecting to the 10 servers and waiting to service them with the ns_sockselect command. In this case, though, each connection gets it's own thread. # This is the procedure which is evaluated for each thread and # handles a single connection to host number $i proc getpage {i} { global pages # new thread will start here - first connect to host set host [format "www%2d.foo.com" $i] set fds [ns_sockopen $host 80 set r [lindex $fds 0] set w [lindex $fds 1] # next, send request 0r" puts $w "GET /index.htm HTTP/1.0 flush $w # then read page set pages($i) [read $r] # and close sockets close $w close $r # thread goes away here and other threads waiting # on ns_thread wait will wakeup } # Here's the loop which creates the threads which run getpage. for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { set tids($i) [ns_thread begin "getpage $i"] } # wait for the threads to exit and then process the pages for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { ns_thread wait $tids($i) # output page ... process the page in $pages($i) put there by other thread ... } Note that the code here is much simpler to follow than the ns_sockselect example; that's the benefit of multithreaded programming. However, it uses more resources as threads need to be created and initialized. This can be a problem if you plan to create many threads. SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
threads AOLserver 4.0 ns_thread(3aolserver)