Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tough Substituion command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tough Substituion command Post 302233489 by ggggdddd on Sunday 7th of September 2008 10:46:30 PM
Old 09-07-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDan
Not clear why there's a colon at the start; is this vim? Here's how to do it in vim:
Code:
:%s/Mg\([24]\).\(q[np]s[b]?\) W=0\.175u/Mg\1.\2 W=wmg\1\2/g

Thanks!
I am using Vi.
I tried using the command but it did not execute. (Even tried in vim)
I tried searching for
/Mg\([24]\).\(q[np][as]\)

and it could find all the lines.

But when I search for

/Mg\([24]\).\(q[np][as][b]?\) It cannot find anything. How can I make the presence of that last charachter b optional in the substitution command?

One more question: How do I substitute in case I have some charachters in between Mg...... and W=175u like below. These in between charachters should not be disturbed.

Mg2.qns A B C L=123u W=0.175u
Mg2.qpsb DE 12 c1 L=123u W=0.175u
Mg4.qns M N O W=0.175u
Mg4.qpsb W=0.175u

Last edited by ggggdddd; 09-08-2008 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: More details added

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env Variable substituion in Sed (-s option)

Folks, I've been trying to use the ENV variable with slashes(/) in its value inside the sed substitution.. Sed 's/myval/'$MYVAL'/' file1 >> file.tmp If MYVAL=<sometext>, it works. if MYVAL=/home/venkat, it doesnt. *************************** bash-2.05$ export VAL=/home/venkat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Arrays and Substituion

@xray =~ s/^ *//g; @xray =~ s/ *$//g; @xray =~ s/\s+/ /g; Guess I have a two part question ... First Is there a way to make substitutions, remove leading spaces, trailing spaces, and crunch multiple spaces into a single space, to the entire array, or must the substitutions be done on on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

3. Solaris

bad substituion error

Dear All i am getting "bad substituion" error in the follwing piece of code when i run from crontab.however it works if i run directly from my machine. #!/bin/bash for i in `cat abc` do part1=${i:0:12} ; part2=${i:13:27} ; echo "$part1,$part2">> def done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asadlone
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tough parsing

I have a string as "Period= 20090531 Client Name= Clayton Lumbar Company Destination= MD" I want to parse the string and store it in 3 different variables. $period (should get value 20090531) $client (should get value "Clayton Lumbar company") $dest (should get value MD) How can I do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paruthiveeran
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tough Oracle Logic in Ux

How Can this logic be implemented in Unix SELECT B.SERVICE_TYPE || '|' || B.TOTAL_TYPE || '|' || B.CALL_INDICATOR || '|' || B.A_NUMBER || '|' || B.APN || '|' || B.DAY || '|' || B.HOUR ||... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A very tough exercise

hello everyone!:) I have an exercise which I think is difficult for beginner like me. Here is the exercise Create a shell script, which takes a directory as command line argument. Script displays ten first lines from every text file in that directory. After displaying the lines from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: googlevn
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable in awk substituion

I have a file with 20 blank spaces. I want to substitute each blank space for a string, and part of that string should include an incremental number Code while read line3 do awk -v var=${line3} '{i=var; sub("^]*$", "\\&\n@target G0.S"'$i'"\n@type xy"); print $0}'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bad substituion error : Dont understand why

Hi Folks - I'm getting the following error message when executing my script: $ chmod +x Winexe_Admin.sh $ ./Winexe_Admin.sh Script Name: Winexe_Admin.sh Script Name without EXT: Winexe_Admin ./Winexe_Admin.sh: line 43: ${_MAINPATH}${_LOGPATH}${LOGPATH$}${_YEAR}_${_MONTH}${_DAY}: bad... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
ANACRONTAB(5)						       Anacron Users' Manual						     ANACRONTAB(5)

NAME
/etc/anacrontab - configuration file for anacron DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/anacrontab describes the jobs controlled by anacron(8). Its lines can be of three kinds: job-description lines, environment assignments, or empty lines. Job-description lines are of one of these two forms: period delay job-identifier command @period_name delay job-identify command The period is specified in days, the delay in minutes. The job-identifier can contain any non-blank character, except slashes. It is used to identify the job in Anacron messages, and as the name for the job's timestamp file. The command can be any shell command. The fields can be separated by blank spaces or tabs. The period_name can only be set to monthly at the present time. This will ensure jobs are only run once a month, no matter the number of days in this month, or the previous month. Environment assignment lines are of the form: VAR = VALUE Spaces around VAR are removed. No spaces around VALUE are allowed (unless you want them to be part of the value). The assignment takes effect from the next line to the end of the file, or to the next assignment of the same variable. Empty lines are either blank lines, line containing white-space only, or lines with white-space followed by a '#' followed by an arbitrary comment. You can continue a line onto the next line by ending it with a ''. SEE ALSO
anacron(8) The Anacron README file. AUTHOR
Itai Tzur <itzur@actcom.co.il> Currently maintained by Pascal Hakim <pasc@(debian.org|redellipse.net)>. Pascal Hakim 2004-07-11 ANACRONTAB(5)