Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl question, parsing line by line Post 302233073 by Ek0 on Friday 5th of September 2008 09:33:30 PM
Old 09-05-2008
Perl question, parsing line by line

Hello,

Im very new to PERL and as a project to work on developing my skills at PERL Im trying to parse poker hands.

Ive tried many methods however I cant get the last step.

$yourfile= 'FILENAME';#poker hands to parse
open (FILE, "$yourfile") or die $!;
@lines = <FILE>;

for (@lines)
{
if (/^Dealt.*]$/)
{
$blah = $_;
push (@cards,$blah);
}
}
print "@cards";

This script will produce the following output...

Dealt to me [4h 5s]
Dealt to me [Kh 2s]
Dealt to me [3c 6h]
Dealt to me [9s 8d]

I want to parse out the hands within the [ ], how do i do this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question - removing line from input file

In perl I want to do remove the top line of my input file then process the next line. I want to do something like head -1 inputfile > temp grep -v temp inputfile > newinputfile cp newinputfile inputfle is this possible in perl? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reggiej
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing command line switches in Perl

Hi, My perl script takes few switches which i'm parsing through GetOpt::Long module. My script looks like something : myscript.pl --file="foo" --or --file="bar" The --file switch takes 2 arguments foo and bar. The 2 values of file are separated by --or switch. I want to ensure that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: obelix
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to join multi-line into single line

Hello, Did anyone know how to write a perl script to merge the multi-line into a single line where each line with start at timestamp Input--> timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; a; b; c; timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; aa; bb; cc; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question - How do I print contents of an array on a single line?

I have the following code: print @testarray; which returns: 8 8 8 9 How do I return the array like this: The output is: 8, 8, 8, 9 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing file, reading each line to variable, evaluating date/time stamp of each line

So, the beginning of my script will cat & grep a file with the output directed to a new file. The data I have in this file needs to be parsed, read and evaluated. Basically, I need to identify the latest date/time stamp and then calculate whether or not it is within 15 minutes of the current... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hynesward
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL or SHELL Scrript to search in Directories by taking line by line from a text file

Unix box server version *********** >uname -r B.11.00 >echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh --> in this server, I have the path like /IMbuild/dev/im0serv1 ---> in that directory I have the folders startup(.jsp files nearly 100 jsp's ) and scripts(contains .js files nearly 100 files) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make Multile line is one line using window Perl

Hi All I have a .csv file which is showing data as ESP Client,ESP Engagement,Misc_Projects_120101,DEFAULT,HA,Unknown,No,Unknown,201704,4.1,Unknown,AAA,Collected-Done,"she,joy.",200111,Unknown,Full Time,,Delivery_DONE AMO,Approved,2012-12-03,2012-12-06,2012-12-06,"Occupied Hours ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Line Perl for parsing fasta file

I would like to take a fasta file formated like >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0002 agttcgag >0003 ggtaacctga and use command line perl to move the all sample gt 8 in length to a new file. the result would be >0001 agttcgaggtcagaatt >0003 ggtaacctga cat ${sample}.fasta | perl -lane... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
SLAPD-PERL(5)							File Formats Manual						     SLAPD-PERL(5)

NAME
slapd-perl - Perl backend to slapd SYNOPSIS
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf DESCRIPTION
The Perl backend to slapd(8) works by embedding a perl(1) interpreter into slapd(8). Any perl database section of the configuration file slapd.conf(5) must then specify what Perl module to use. Slapd then creates a new Perl object that handles all the requests for that par- ticular instance of the backend. You will need to create a method for each one of the following actions: * new # creates a new object, * search # performs the ldap search, * compare # does a compare, * modify # modifies an entry, * add # adds an entry to backend, * modrdn # modifies an entry's rdn, * delete # deletes an ldap entry, * config # process unknown config file lines, * init # called after backend is initialized. Unless otherwise specified, the methods return the result code which will be returned to the client. Unimplemented actions can just return unwillingToPerform (53). new This method is called when the configuration file encounters a perlmod line. The module in that line is then effectively `use'd into the perl interpreter, then the new method is called to create a new object. Note that multiple instances of that object may be instantiated, as with any perl object. The new method receives the class name as argument. search This method is called when a search request comes from a client. It arguments are as follows: * object reference * base DN * scope * alias dereferencing policy * size limit * time limit * filter string * attributes only flag (1 for yes) * list of attributes to return (may be empty) Return value: (resultcode, ldif-entry, ldif-entry, ...) compare This method is called when a compare request comes from a client. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * dn * attribute assertion string modify This method is called when a modify request comes from a client. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * dn * a list formatted as follows ({ "ADD" | "DELETE" | "REPLACE" }, attributetype, value...)... add This method is called when a add request comes from a client. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * entry in string format modrdn This method is called when a modrdn request comes from a client. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * dn * new rdn * delete old dn flag (1 means yes) delete This method is called when a delete request comes from a client. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * dn config This method is called with unknown slapd.conf(5) configuration file lines. Its arguments are as follows. * object reference * array of arguments on line Return value: nonzero if this is not a valid option. init This method is called after backend is initialized. Its argument is as follows. * object reference Return value: nonzero if initialization failed. CONFIGURATION
These slapd.conf options apply to the PERL backend database. That is, they must follow a "database perl" line and come before any subse- quent "backend" or "database" lines. Other database options are described in the slapd.conf(5) manual page. perlModulePath /path/to/libs Add the path to the @INC variable. perlModule ModName `Use' the module name ModName from ModName.pm filterSearchResults Search results are candidates that need to be filtered (with the filter in the search request), rather than search results to be returned directly to the client. EXAMPLE
There is an example Perl module `SampleLDAP' in the slapd/back-perl/ directory in the OpenLDAP source tree. ACCESS CONTROL
The perl backend does not honor any of the access control semantics described in slapd.access(5); all access control is delegated to the underlying PERL scripting. Only read (=r) access to the entry pseudo-attribute and to the other attribute values of the entries returned by the search operation is honored, which is performed by the frontend. WARNING
The interface of this backend to the perl module MAY change. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. FILES
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf default slapd configuration file SEE ALSO
slapd.conf(5), slapd(8), perl(1). OpenLDAP 2.4.28 2011/11/24 SLAPD-PERL(5)