Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX-specific memory issues?
Operating Systems AIX AIX-specific memory issues? Post 302232003 by wolfier on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 05:23:35 PM
Old 09-03-2008
Thanks!

Are you implying that memory allocation issues are commonplace on AIX even if the same application is compiled with the same compiler and run on comparable hardware - the fact that it's run on AIX will introduce memory allocation issues if you're not careful?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX 5.3 Issues

We are planning to move to AIX 5.3 and we would like to know if someone has had any 'bad' experiences with it. We have a 32PE p690 Regatta and currently we are running the latest AIX 5.2 with the latest patches. Has anyone any interesting points to mention when transitioning to AXI 5.3? Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: miket
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX filter Issues

Hi, I want to print from AIX 5.3/6.1 using 'pr' preprocessing filter and 'PCL' print file type. Steps: 1. Smitty 2. Print Spooling 3. Create a print queue(remote->Generic) 4. change the attributes for that print queue. 5. Change print file type to PCL and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meeraramanathan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a string a specific value in specific location in AIX

Hi, I have following samp.txt file in unix. samp.txt 01Roy2D3M000000 02Rad2D3M222222 . . . . 10Mik0A2M343443 Desired Output 01Roy2A3M000000 02Rad2A3M222222 . . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Zones and memory resource control issues

Hi all, This is a cross-post from the Sun/Oracle forums (I would include the URL here, but the forum doesn't allow me), cos quite frankly, this forum seems to be more active... I am maintaining an in-house Sun/Oracle x86 server (x4275) running Solaris 10 with zones for testing and development... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: boekhold
10 Replies

5. Linux

Memory issues iin CentOS release 5.3 (Final)

New to the forum. I am running CentOS release 5.3 (Final) and have run into a unique situation. I have been able to determine that we have a swap memory leak due to an issue with an asterisk server. This specific issue takes approximately 2-3 months for enough of the swap to to be used before... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g0neinsane
1 Replies

6. BSD

Write to a specific memory space.

Hello all. I need a simple way to write to a specific memory space (/dev/mem). In a bash script if possible. (I am using dd to read the changes) Thanks in advace. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: King_Richee
0 Replies

7. Programming

Write to a specific memory space.

Hello all. I need a simple way to write to a specific memory space (/dev/mem). In a bash script if possible. (I am using dd to read the changes) Thanks in advace. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: King_Richee
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX & DB2 paging issues

AIX & DB2 paging issues Hello I needs some help on AIX & DB2 paging issues. Recently a db2 query caused paging issues which then lead to memory problems and a server restart. Is there anyway of finding out what db2 queries were causing the problem.. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nedkao
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 Memory Performance issues

Good Day Everyone, Just wonder anyone has encounter AIX 6.1 Memory Performance issues ? What I have in my current scenario is we have 3 datastage servers (Segregate server and EE jobs - for those who know Datastage achitect) and 2 db servers(running HA to load balance 4 nodes partitions for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwan
3 Replies

10. AIX

Creating AIX LV VG and JFS2 issues?

Can someone please help me understand what it is I am doing incorrectly? I have 22 PVs (disks) assigned to a VG, the stats on the disks: # lspv hdisk1 PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk1 VOLUME GROUP: vg_usr1 PV IDENTIFIER: 0000150179158027 VG IDENTIFIER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies
Tcl_Alloc(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						      Tcl_Alloc(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Alloc, Tcl_Free, Tcl_Realloc, Tcl_AttemptAlloc, Tcl_AttemptRealloc, ckalloc, ckfree, ckrealloc, attemptckalloc, attemptckrealloc - allocate or free heap memory SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> char * Tcl_Alloc(size) void Tcl_Free(ptr) char * Tcl_Realloc(ptr, size) char * Tcl_AttemptAlloc(size) char * Tcl_AttemptRealloc(ptr, size) char * ckalloc(size) void ckfree(ptr) char * ckrealloc(ptr, size) char * attemptckalloc(size) char * attemptckrealloc(ptr, size) ARGUMENTS
unsigned int size (in) Size in bytes of the memory block to allocate. char *ptr (in) Pointer to memory block to free or realloc. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
These procedures provide a platform and compiler independent interface for memory allocation. Programs that need to transfer ownership of memory blocks between Tcl and other modules should use these routines rather than the native malloc() and free() routines provided by the C run-time library. Tcl_Alloc returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes suitably aligned for any use. Tcl_Free makes the space referred to by ptr available for further allocation. Tcl_Realloc changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the new block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. The returned location may be different from ptr. If ptr is NULL, this is equivalent to calling Tcl_Alloc with just the size argument. Tcl_AttemptAlloc and Tcl_AttemptRealloc are identical in function to Tcl_Alloc and Tcl_Realloc, except that Tcl_AttemptAlloc and Tcl_AttemptRealloc will not cause the Tcl interpreter to panic if the memory allocation fails. If the allocation fails, these functions will return NULL. Note that on some platforms, but not all, attempting to allocate a zero-sized block of memory will also cause these functions to return NULL. The procedures ckalloc, ckfree, ckrealloc, attemptckalloc, and attemptckrealloc are implemented as macros. Normally, they are synonyms for the corresponding procedures documented on this page. When Tcl and all modules calling Tcl are compiled with TCL_MEM_DEBUG defined, how- ever, these macros are redefined to be special debugging versions of these procedures. To support Tcl's memory debugging within a module, use the macros rather than direct calls to Tcl_Alloc, etc. KEYWORDS
alloc, allocation, free, malloc, memory, realloc, TCL_MEM_DEBUG Tcl 7.5 Tcl_Alloc(3)