Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What's the difference between rwxrwSr-x and rwxrwsr-x? Post 302231862 by Perderabo on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 09:59:47 AM
Old 09-03-2008
I spent quite a bit of time on that article and I'm dismayed that you dismiss it with a comment like "The article did NOT answer my question". When you phrase a question like "If the file's execute bit is off", I have to think that that a rereading of my article might be useful. There are three execute bits, not one, and you do not have a case where all three are off. The section "Useless Bit Combination" discusses your question in some depth and none of the files in that section are owned by root. Suid works fine with non-root users, but none of the examples in your questions had anything to do suid. Your examples are sgid, not suid.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

what is the difference between -h and -H ?

samba:/home/backup # df -h /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 34G 8.6G 26G 26% /home samba:/home/backup # df -H /home/ Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sdb2 37GB 9.2GB 28GB 26% /home what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cw1972
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between == and =

This is probably a stupid question to ask. But could somebody help me clearly distinguish the difference between these two operators in unix '==' and '='? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Difference between @# and @*

hi Can any one explain me difference between @# and @* with the help of examples? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rochitsharma
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

does someone see the difference

this works (session is set in -x) @@ecar0o:/html/dbs/public/cgi-bin> ssh ecar0o.bc -l oracle ssh cas_a "find /casa/dbcrea/`echo casa | cut -c 1-3`/rel55595 -type f ! -name '*.dbf' -exec ls -l {} \\\\\;" + cut -c 1-3 + echo casa + ssh ecar0o.bc -l oracle ssh cas_a find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plelie2
1 Replies

5. Programming

while and if, what is the difference?

Hi, I am learning C++ and I have the following code: //Tokenizing program: pointer version. #include <iostream> #include <cstdio> using namespace std; int main() { char str; char token; char *p, *q; cout << "Enter a sentence: "; gets(str); p=str; //read a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between 1,$ and /g

just wondering what the difference is between 1,$ and /g when doing a substitution in vi. doesn't seem to be much difference from what i can see. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigubosu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between > and 2>

Hi could you please tell me, what is the difference between this two urgently (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnviyyapu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between $* and $@ ?

What's the difference between $* and $@? And I read that the $* has security problems, why? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
6 Replies

9. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
CVTBATCH(8)						    InterNetNews Documentation						       CVTBATCH(8)

NAME
cvtbatch - Convert Usenet batch files to INN format SYNOPSIS
cvtbatch [-w items] DESCRIPTION
cvtbatch reads standard input as a sequence of lines, converts each line, and writes it to standard output. It is used to convert simple batch files that contain just the storage API token of an article to INN batch files that contain additional information about each article. Each line is taken as a storage API token indicating a Usenet article. Only the first word of each line is parsed; anything following whitespace is ignored. Lines not starting with a valid token are also silently ignored. If the input file consists of a series of message-IDs, then use grephistory with the -s flag piped into cvtbatch. OPTIONS
-w items The -w flag specifies how each output line should be written. The items for this flag should be chosen from the "W" flag items as specified in newsfeeds(5). They may be chosen from the following set: b Size of the article in bytes. f Storage API token of the article (same as "n"). m Article message-ID. n Storage API token of the article. t Arrival time of the article as seconds since epoch. The default is "nm", that is to say the storage API token followed by the message-ID of the article. HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Julien Elie. $Id: cvtbatch.pod 8776 2009-11-15 09:24:06Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
grephistory(1), newsfeeds(5). INN 2.5.2 2009-11-15 CVTBATCH(8)