Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: input to shell
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting input to shell Post 302231841 by pederlol on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 07:54:58 AM
Old 09-03-2008
input to shell

Hi,

Wimple question: In my shell script, I need a variable to be set as follows:

In the given directory the files

error001710
error001720
error00xxxx

are located.

I need to get a string that has the values:

001710 001720 ... 00xxxx

Only thing I can come up with is:

set stringname = 'ls error*'

which as you can imagine doesn't do the job. Please help Smilie

Peter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input to shell script

Hi, I have 10 database instances runnning in one unix box. To connect to each database..i have to set the environment. I am trying to write a shell script to set my environment for database by just tying the oracle instance name After logging into the unix machine... i want to type the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: castlerock
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script with input

Hi all, Here is my shell script #!/bin/sh echo "What is your name" read name echo "What is your surname" read surname echo "Your name is:${name} and your surname is:${surname}" How can I modify this script so that I input those two variables from console?Lets say my name is "first"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0mrade
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Copy interactively - shell input

Hello, I am making a script to copy files interactively from one directory to another using the "i" option because I dont want to overwrite the files. cp -i *.html ./../otherdir/ cp: do you want to overwrite (y/n) ? I used cp -i *.html ./../otherdir/ ans='n' read $ans ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: telecomics
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

input to Parent shell

how can we give input to parent shell? i mean shell that is creating a child and our c prograame will run on that child..and then it return to parent shell.. what i want to do i want execute a c programe that will give command as input to parent shell & get output from parent shell and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gajju
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input in shell script

Hello! Need help with the following: #!/bin/bash streamripper http://mp3-live.swr.de/swr2_m.m3u -D ~/RadioMitschnitt -l 200 > /dev/null 2>&1 I want to change the script so that it asks for an input for "-l 200" (means length 200sec) and starts then with the new value for "-l". Can I do this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urug3170
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

function from shell input

Hi all i have the command called printer which needs a usernmae for example i would run the commnad printer <username> how can i write i quick script in perl that if the username is ab then write "denined" and if it is anything else it will work thanks Adam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ab52
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell: Parsing Input

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm fairly confident I can brute force this assignment, but let's not do that ;-). Basically I'm required to support input such as ps aux | grep blah >> blah.txt& echo 'slslslsl' My question is what is the best way to parse that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: someoney3000
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

input value to a command thru shell

Hi, I'm trying to create files in ccm thru a shell as the number of files that i need to create is in hundreds The problem here is the command prompts for the file type to be entered by the user. I need all the files to be created with "ascii" as file type. So how can i input a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input handling and formatting input to shell

i want to get input and depending on it create new commands for input to expect. But problem is that after giving date or month as 01-09 it is interpretation as 1-9 echo -n "ENTER DATE " read d1 echo -n "ENTER MONTH " read m1 echo -n "ENTER YEAR" read y1 o=1 i=1 d2=`expr $d1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

User input for shell

I still cannot figure out how to get this read command to work. I want the script to ask questions when prompted, and the user to enter a response. Based on response it will continue or exit. I have not worked with this type of script before so I am almost clueless on what to do, and so far google... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigbenn
6 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)