Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ensuring A String Doesn't Begin With Space Post 302231785 by radoulov on Wednesday 3rd of September 2008 06:38:10 AM
Old 09-03-2008
Code:
$ cat s
#! /bin/bash

printf 'enter name: '
while IFS= :; do
  read
  case $REPLY in
    \ *) printf 'invalid, retry: ';;
      *) printf 'ok\n';break;;
  esac
done
$ ./s
enter name:  initial space
invalid, retry: no_space
ok

Last edited by radoulov; 09-03-2008 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: depending on your shell, you may need to modify the IFS temporarily

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk BEGIN END and string matching problem

Hi, Contents of BBS-list file: foo foo foo awk ' BEGIN { print "Analysis of \"foo\"" } /foo/ { ++n } END { print "\"foo\" appears", n, "times." }' BBS-list Output: Analysis of "foo" "foo" appears 3 times. awk ' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string with sed doesn't work

Hello, Unfortunately I don't found any working solution for my problem :/ I have pass file for dovecot authorizing in this format: user@domain.tld:{SSHA}Ykx2KVG/a2FKzjnctFFC2qFnrk9nvRmW:5000:5000:::: . . ...Now, I want to write some sh script for password changing for grep'ed user, in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincenty
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a string begin with uppercase, lowercase or digit!

Hi every body! I wrote script on Fedora (bash shell) to check whether a tring enter from user console is start with a uppercase/lowercase letter or a digit. But with this script i have some problem when I enter from character from 'b' to 'z' --> result is uppercase. This code look like ok but i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguyendu0102
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ensuring / at end of directory path

I have a variable name storing a directory path set dirpath = /home/chrisd/tatsh/branches/terr0.50/darwin I want to ensure there is always a "/" at the end, and if there are more than one "/", that I reduce it to just one. ---------- Post updated at 08:16 AM ---------- Previous update was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting new line if two sequential lines begin with the same string

Hi I have a file like this: Peter North Mary Peter North Peter Borough Mary I need there to put 'X' (or anything) on a new line between the two lines where 'Peter' begins the line. There will be many matches to this string, but they will always begin with 'Peter'. Ie, the resulting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test that a string doesn't contain specific characters?

Hi ! :) I made this : #!/bin/bash rsa_dir="/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/" rsa_key_dir="/etc/openvpn/easy-rsa/keys/" ccd_dir="/etc/openvpn/ccd/" regex_special_char='' cd $rsa_dir while read -p "Please can you enter the vpn's username : " username ] || ] || ] || ] do echo "Your entry... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ensuring certain processes do not show up in process table

i've read somewhere a long time ago that there's a way to hide the workings of a script in sub functions so that when run, it doesn't show up in the process table. is this really possible? for instance, i need to run a command that has a password in it. and when that;s being run, it can be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete Directories and its files that begin with the same character string

I wrote a shell script program that supposed to delete any directories and its files that begin with the same character string . The program is designed to delete directories and its files that are one day old or less and only the directories that begin with the same character string. The problem... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

C shell concatenate string doesn't work

I have the following code: #!/bin/csh clear set cloud_file="/home/labs/koren/davidsr/general_scripts/MFP_10_PP_Parmas.txt" # to fill set mie_tables_dir='/home/labs/koren/davidsr/SHDOM_MAIN/MIE_TABLES/non_polo_wave_0.7_water_50R_s0.5_e25_max_70.mie' # to fill set prp_dir='${pp_dir}/pp_prp/'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: student_wiz
2 Replies
SHELR(1)																  SHELR(1)

NAME
shelr - screencasting for shell ninjas DESCRIPTION
Shelr records terminal output and can replay it. Also you can shere Your records at http://shelr.tv/ or other services. SYNOPSIS
shelr command [id] COMMANDS
record Will record your terminal unless you type exit or Ctrl+D and store it to $HOME/.local/share/shelr/ list lists all your shellcasts. play plays local or remote shellcast. push publish your shellcast dump dump shellcast as json to current directory. EXAMPLES
Record your shellcast: $ shelr record $ # do something ... $ exit List recorded shellcasts: $ shelr list Play local shellcast: $ shelr play 1293702847 # play your own local record $ shelr play record.json # created with shelr dump $ shelr play last # will play most recent local record Play remote shellcast: $ shelr play http://shelr.tv/records/4d1f7c3890820d6144000002.json Publish your shellcast: $ shelr push 1293702847 $ shelr push last # will push most recent local record Setup recording backend: $ shelr backend script $ shelr backend ttyrec BUGS
Windows heh. COPYRIGHT
(C) 2010, 2011, 2012 Antono Vasiljev self@antono.info Licensed under GPLv3+ SEE ALSO
script(1), scriptreplay(1), ttyrec(1), ttyplay(1) April 2012 SHELR(1)