Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Append Output to another file in Perl Post 302231644 by Raynon on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 11:21:21 PM
Old 09-03-2008
Hi Era,

I encounter the following error when i use your format.
Can you give some advice ?
Seems to me that the Perl cannot accept this syntax :
open(INPUT, 'perl myscript.pl @arr_y[$num] |');

Error Msg:
Can't open @arr_y[]: No such file or directory at myscript.pl

Code:
$num = 0;

while ($num <= $#arr_y ) {
        open(FH,"< file2") or die $!;
        print "@LISTING[$num] is undercheck now.\n";
                while( <FH> ) {
                chomp;
                if($_ =~ @LISTING[$num] && $_ =~ @SLIST[$num]) {
                        $check_file = "already_appended"
                        };
                close FH;
                print "@arr_y[$num]\n";
                if($check_file ne 'already_appended') {
                        open(INPUT, 'perl myscript.pl @arr_y[$num] |');
                        open(OUTPUT, ">> file2");
                        while (<INPUT>) {       # read a line of input from myscript.pl
                                print OUTPUT;   # print it to the output handle
                        }                       
                        close INPUT;
                        close OUTPUT; 
                        print "@LISTING[$num] will be appended.\n"
                }
                else
                {
                        print "@LISTING[$num] will NOT be appended.\n";
                };
                };
        $num = $num + 1;
};
};

Last edited by Raynon; 09-03-2008 at 12:33 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append output to file

Hi, I have a script below. It get's the data from the output of a script that is running hourly. My problem is every time my script runs, it deletes the previous data and put the current data. Please see output below. What I would like to do is to have the hourly output to be appended on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Output to file but append rather than overwrite?

I am running a command which has a parameter that outputs the results to a file each time it is run. Here is the command: --fullresult=true > importlog.xml Can I add the output to the file rather than creating a new one which overwrites the existing one? If not can I make the file name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append file with grep output but add timestamp?

I've setup a cron job that greps a file every five minutes and then writes (appends) the grep output/result to another file: grep "monkey" zoo.log | tail -1 >> cron-zoo-log Is there any way I can add the date and time (timestamp) to the cron-zoo-log file for each time a new line was added? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append records to a file using PERL

Hi All, Great Forum and Great help. Keep up the good work. My question is what is the command and it's syntax to append a record to an output file using PERL. Please provide the command syntax. In regular shell you can use the '>>' to append. Basically, I am creating a small report... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nurani
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append an output file with two columns

Hi All, can you help me with this: grep XXX dir/*.txt|wc -l > newfile.txt - this put the results in the newfile.txt, but I want to add another column in the newfile.txt, string 'YYYYY', separated somehow, which corresponds on the grep results? For example grep will grep XXX dir/*.txt|wc -l >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with print append to output file syntax

I'm trying to output the contents of the infile to the outfile using Append. I will want to use append but the syntax doesn't seem to be working ! Input file (called a.txt) contains this: a a a b b b I'm running shell script (called k.sh) from Unix command-line like this: ./k.sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob questions.. Append output to a file in different directory

Noob question! I know almost nothing so far, and I'm trying to teach myself from books, on a typical command line without using scripts how would I append output from a sort to a file in a completely different directory? example: If I'm sorting a file in my documents directory but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print and append output of nawk script in commandline and as well into a file?

Hi All, I am working on nawk script, has the small function which prints the output on the screen.Am trying to print/append the same output in a file. Basically nawk script should print the output on the console/screen and as well it should write/append the same result to a file. script :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to a file repeating output

Hello, i'm trying to force a command to read every second from an interface watch -n1 (command) /dev/x | cat >> output but it continue to overwrite the file, without append the content Thanks and advace for help as usual regards (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need solution to compare two file and update and append the output

Hi All, I have two files File1 frame,007C1 server1_Parent frame,007C3 server2_Silver frame,007EE server3_Bronze frame,00855 server4_Parent frame,00856 server4_Parent frame,00858 server5_Parent frame,008FA server6_Silver frame,008FB server6_Silver frame,008FC server6_Silver... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
2 Replies
Purple(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Purple(3)

NAME
Purple - Perl extension to the libpurple instant messenger library. SYNOPSIS
use Purple; ABSTRACT
This module provides the interface for using perl scripts as plugins in libpurple. DESCRIPTION
This module provides the interface for using perl scripts as plugins in Purple. With this, developers can write perl scripts that can be loaded in Purple as plugins. The scripts can interact with IMs, chats, accounts, the buddy list, libpurple signals, and more. The API for the perl interface is very similar to that of the Purple C API, which can be viewed at http://developer.pidgin.im/doxygen/ or in the header files in the Purple source tree. FUNCTIONS
@accounts = Purple::accounts Returns a list of all accounts, online or offline. @chats = Purple::chats Returns a list of all chats currently open. @connections = Purple::connections Returns a list of all active connections. @conversations = Purple::conversations Returns a list of all conversations, both IM and chat, currently open. @conv_windows = Purple::conv_windows Returns a list of all conversation windows currently open. @ims = Purple::ims Returns a list of all instant messages currently open. SEE ALSO
Purple C API documentation - http://developer.pidgin.im/doxygen/ Purple website - http://pidgin.im/ AUTHOR
Christian Hammond, <chipx86@gnupdate.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2003 by Christian Hammond This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the General Public License (GPL). For more information, see http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl.txt perl v5.12.1 2010-02-16 Purple(3)