Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I'm not sure how I would describe this Post 302231638 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 09:50:50 PM
Old 09-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes
basically, I would like my installer script to prompt for variables, so I don't have the users of my software to edit an xml file manually.
I use the BASH shell.

Code:
## bash only
read -ep "Enter your name: " name
read -ep "Enter the date: " date

printf "Name = %s\nDate = %s\n" "$name" "$date"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

describe unix commands in english

the following unix command ls | grep'?cw1' | wc -l converting it to english is it going to be like list the result of the search '?cw1' in number of lines is that correct ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: props
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Describe what this line of code would do

I am confused about what this line of code would do. I understand all the pieces but not the final outcome. Anyone that could help? find / -type f -xdev -mtime 0 -size 100000 -exec ls -lht {} /; 2>/dev/null (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickNine
4 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Knowing the half will get you into trouble - describe your disasters

Curious, what did you do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Describe the parameters of iostat,vmstat and mpstat

Hi, I am trying to take the Statistics of the machine during load.Can someone explian the parameters of iostat: tty sd1 sd2 sd3 sd4 cpu tin tout kps tps serv kps tps serv kps tps serv kps tps serv us sy wt id vmstat: kthr ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grrajeish
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

special question, hard to describe in few words...

dear coders, i need some inspiration again... there is something what i always wanted to know... how to code following: value 1: __________ value 2: __________ important: when my "script" starts the display has to be cleared and two lines are shown (see above), the cursor has to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DEscribe this command

Hi all. can you please tell me (root) NOPASSWD: ALL what this command means (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
1 Replies

7. Solaris

can someone describe

What is openboot prompt is this some kind of shell , and where is located :p (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

please describe me some simple command

Hi everyone I'm new here and I don't know some command of unix, please help by describe me how it work, I study unix command by myself and can't search exactly means so...Thanks :D sqlplus -s /nolog @${SQLFILE} ${file_type} >> ${OUTPUT_FILE} date "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S" $/usr/bin/echo "INFO : $1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zound617
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can someone describe the process of pre-emption in UNIX?

I never understood what exactly it is that preempts a process in a preemptive multitasking system. For example, round-robin, SRTF, or preemptive priority-based algorithms. I understand how the algorithm works, but what exactly triggers the preemption? I know in the case of round-robin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Not sure how to describe it but how to format this list so that it print the 1st field once only

Hi, Not sure how to describe the problem. But basically, I have this file listing here app01_app.test.com.ph|PROGRAM=SQL Developer|HOST=AKL0TS100|USER=Admtest01|HOST=10.111.12.23| app02_app.test.com.ph|PROGRAM=D:\interface\apps\bin32\batch.exe|HOST=AKL0TS100|USER=Admtest09|HOST=10.111.12.35|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
softwareupdate(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					 softwareupdate(8)

NAME
softwareupdate -- system software update tool SYNOPSIS
softwareupdate command [args ...] DESCRIPTION
Software Update checks for new and updated versions of your software based on information about your computer and current software. Invoke softwareupdate by specifying a command followed by zero or more args. softwareupdate requires admin authentication for all commands except --list. If you run softwareupdate as a normal admin user, you will be prompted for a password where required. Alternatively, you can run softwareupdate as root and avoid all further authentication prompts. The following commands are available: -l | --list List all available updates. -i | --install Each update specified by args is downloaded and installed. args can be one of the following: -r | --recommended All updates that are recommended for your system. These are prefixed with a * character in the --list output. -R | --restart Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation. -a | --all All updates that are applicable to your system, including those non-recommended ones, which are prefixed with a - character in the --list output. (Non-recommended updates are uncommon in any case.) item ... One or more specified updates. The --list output shows the item names you can specify here, prefixed by the * or - characters. See EXAMPLES. -d | --download Each update specified by args is downloaded but not installed. The values of args are the same as for the --install command. Updates downloaded with --download can be subsequently installed with --install, or through the App Store (as long as they remain applicable to your system). Updates are downloaded to /Library/Updates, but are not designed to be installed by double-clicking the packages in that directory: always use --install or the App Store to actually perform the install. --ignore identifier ... Manages the per-machine list of ignored updates. The identifier is the first part of the item name (before the dash and version number) that is shown by --list. See EXAMPLES. --reset-ignored Clears the per-machine list of ignored updates. --schedule on | off Manages the per-machine automatic (background) check preference. -h | --help Print command usage. EXAMPLES
The following examples are shown as given to the shell: softwareupdate --list Software Update Tool Finding available software Software Update found the following new or updated software: * MacBookAirEFIUpdate2.4-2.4 MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update (2.4), 3817K [recommended] [restart] * ProAppsQTCodecs-1.0 ProApps QuickTime codecs (1.0), 968K [recommended] * JavaForOSX-1.0 Java for OS X 2012-005 (1.0), 65288K [recommended] sudo softwareupdate --install JavaForOSX-1.0 Software Update Tool Finding available software Downloading Java for OS X 2012-005 Downloaded Java for OS X 2012-005 Installing Java for OS X 2012-005 Done with Java for OS X 2012-005 Done. sudo softwareupdate --ignore JavaForOSX Ignored updates: (JavaForOSX) sudo softwareupdate --schedule Automatic check is on Mac OS September 11, 2012 Mac OS