Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: doubt in grep command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting doubt in grep command Post 302231412 by tsaravanan on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 09:08:21 AM
Old 09-02-2008
actually the line is like this
[%XYZ12345%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/1;xyz
[%XYZ12345%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/2;usr2
[%XYZ2345%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/1;Rand
[%XYZ98989%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/2;usr2
[%abc%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/1;usr1
[%Random%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/1;Rand

when i grep the file

$ grep "Ran" myfile
[%XYZ2345%];/abc/abc.cpp@@/main/1;Rand

but i want to grep the following line which matches the [% "searchstring" %]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep doubt

Hi, I have one txt file as bellow: Inspector logging xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Inspector logging xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Inspector loggingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Inspector logging xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. AIX

doubt in cal command

I am new to unix... How to get all the saturdays of a specific year? for a specific month, i tried as below.. cal 02 2006 | awk '{print $7}' but it is not giving all saturdays.... can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance, Sumi (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Doubt in SED command

PLEASE EXPLANIN ME... sed 's~\(.*\)\(<name>\)\(.*\)\(</name>\)\(.*\)~\2\3\4~' this is the format <start><name>123<\name><addr>BAC<\addr><loc>sfo<\loc></start> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt in tr command

Hi, I am trying to understand a script and found a line as follows: tr '\211\233\240' '\040' < $IN_FILE | tr -cd '\11\12\15\40-\176' > $TEMP_FILE Can any one explain the above line .. What are they trying to translate using the tr command.. I have not used tr command.. so feeling little bit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt regardin regex in grep

shudnt this command : grep test give all the lines which do not hv 'C'. ^ wrks as negating character inside square brackets right ??? bt in my case grep is printin all the line in the file also wht does grep c+ test & grep c? test shud do ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evergreen_cool
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

locate command doubt !!!

Hello, I want to search for a file/directory named "abc" which is located anywhere in the given unix system. I am using the command :- But the problem is that this is giving me all combinations of files with have 'abc' in their name. But can I know the option to be used to get the location... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in grep

Hi I need to grep a particular world like and redirect into a temporary file .But while iam grepping some unwanted data are aslo coming like .ex In a FILE all these TABLENAMES are present . module_table1,module_table2, module_table3,module_table5, module_table1_temp , module_table2_temp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in xargs command

Hi, What is the difference in capitalizing the option 'i' of xargs command, (i.e) xargs -i and xargs -I? Also, what is the difference between the below 2 commands? output_from_cmd | xargs -I {} grep '{}' file output_from_cmd | xargs -I grep '{}' file Any efficiency or performance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt in ls command

dear users and experts, i am stuck withis command and i am unable to understand what is it doing?? ls -d * (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshank
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command doubt

Hi all, I need to find the line by using grep command with the two occurence of word in the same line. I tried the below example it prints the word choice. cat nohup.out Dictionary utl is completed. file is completed. Dictionary file is completed. grep 'Dictionary\|file'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun888
0 Replies
FS_WHEREIS(1)						       AFS Command Reference						     FS_WHEREIS(1)

NAME
fs_whereis - Reports each file server housing a file or directory SYNOPSIS
fs whereis [-path <dir/file path>+] [-help] fs whe [-p <dir/file path>+] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The fs whereis command returns the name of each file server machine that houses the volume containing each directory or file named by the -path argument. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names each AFS file or directory for which to return the host file server machine. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output includes a line for each specified directory or file. It names the file server machine on which the volume that houses the specified directory or file resides. A list of multiple machines indicates that the directory or file is in a replicated volume. Machine names usually have a suffix indicating their cell membership. If the cell is not clear, use the fs whichcell command to display the cell in which the directory or file resides. To display the cell membership of the local machine, use the fs wscell command. EXAMPLES
The following example indicates that volume housing the directory /afs/abc.com resides is replicated on both "fs1.abc.com" and "fs3.abc.com": % fs whereis -path /afs/abc.com File /afs/abc.com is on hosts fs1.abc.com fs3.abc.com PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
fs_whichcell(1), fs_wscell(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_WHEREIS(1)